Chapter Nine - Ice Cream, No Date

"So you guys just hung out?" Avery asked, her eyes laser focused on painting her fingernails a bright red. She sat on my bed with her long legs folded beneath her.

"Yeah," I replied from the floor while painting mine white. I didn't tell Avery about Alexander's art because I felt like it would betray his confidence, but boy did I want to scream about his accomplishments to everyone I saw. It was that amazing. I was still mesmerized by the intricate carvings and the fine details that he had put into his work. "How was the rest of your evening with Nathan? When we left you it was looking pretty serious." That was one way of putting it.

"I told him I loved him," she told me, grinning giddily.

"Avery, that's amazing! What did he say?" I was so happy for her that she had found someone who was good to her and for her. It was so like Avery to say that she loved someone first. She was fearless. She didn't worry whether it was reciprocated, she just knew how she felt and wasn't afraid to express it. Avery was a strong woman and not many guys that she'd dated in the past were able to handle that. I envied her confidence and the way she could just say what was on her mind. It was amazing.

"That he loved me too." She sighed dreamily.

"I'm so happy for you guys!" I reached up and wrapped my arms around her in a hug, forgetting about my wet nail polish for a moment.

"So how are you feeling about things?" She asked raising an eyebrow.

"What kind of things?"

"Aaron things. Alexander things?" She asked mischievously.

"There are no Alexander things." I blurted quickly. "And Aaron things just are what they are. There's nothing more to be said about it." The truth was that I was just now coming to terms with the fact that things between Aaron and I were likely over for good. I still missed the moments that we'd never have again - laughing together, driving together, going out for our morning coffee at Jitters. It killed me that he was so okay. That he could hang out with our friends like everything was normal. That he could hang out with her like nothing had happened.

"Did I tell you I saw Heather at the restaurant after you left?" Avery blew on her newly painted nails.

I paused, "No. What did she say?"

"The same thing they all say," Avery frowned, referencing our old friend group, "He didn't mean it, she should take him back, think about the friend group." She rolled my eyes. "So I told her if she ever came up to me again I'd send everyone that video of her talking about sleeping with Stacey's boyfriend that one time," she laughed. "You should have seen her face. Fifty shades of red."

I laughed. Avery was such a strong person. I wished I had her strength sometimes. Her phone beeped and she looked down at it with a giddy smile so I assumed it was Nathan. She placed her phone down and glanced at me. "So your mom's gone again?" She inquired.

"Yeah. To Paris and then checking out random spots with her friends." I blew on my own newly finished nails trying to dry them more quickly.

"You should get your own place," Avery insisted.

"Honestly, I'd feel too bad leaving my mom on her own. I know she has her flaws but she's still my mom. She has no one else." I explained twisting the cap to the polish bottle closed.

"You're too nice, Olivia. She's hardly home and when she is, she shows no interest in you or in what you're doing. Does she even call you when she's away traveling 300 days out of the year?" Avery sighed in frustration.

"Of course," I lied automatically. Avery shot me a skeptical look.

"All I'm saying is that it's okay to do selfish things that make you happy. This is a repeating pattern that spilled over into your relationship with Aaron, too." Avery stated matter-of-factly.