Chapter 22

Danielle's POV

"So what do you do with the rest of your day when you're out by noon?" Derek asks as I lock the front door of the bakery behind us.

"Depends. Sometimes I'll run errands, maybe get my nails done, clean the house. Just kinda hang out really."

"That's nice," Derek says. "Sounds like you tend to have chill afternoons."

"Yeah..." I say, my voice trailing off. As much as it is generally a chill afternoon after work, the one thing I didn't mention was the feeling of loneliness that has been starting to set in lately. While I've enjoyed my independence the last few years, it's been really nice having Derek around.

"Do you want to go get brunch somewhere?" I ask. "There's a really cute brunch spot by the water in Sunset Park."

"Cute brunch spot," Derek chuckles.

"What?" I laugh.

"I've never really been one for 'cute brunch spots' but I'm willing to go for you." Derek smiles at me and I smile back.

"It's a date?" I suggest, nervous for Derek's response.

He reaches for my hand and we start to walk.

"It's a date," he replies.

When we get to the brunch spot, we get seated in a back corner with floor to ceiling windows.

"This place looks... expensive," Derek comments as he glances around the restaurant. He opens up the menu and his eyes get even bigger. "12 dollars for eggs?!" he whispers at me loudly. "Maybe we should go to Denny's."

I playfully shake my head at Derek. "It's fine. This place is amazing. And this is my treat. For an awesome start to this week."

Derek eyes me before looking at the menu again. "I don't know Dani..." His voice trails off as he reads through the menu.

"Well I already know I'm definitely going for the bottomless mimosas." I look up at Derek. "If... if that's okay. I know you don't drink. I can just get some juice if that's going to be too much."

Derek shakes his head. "I don't drink but that doesn't mean you can't. I don't mind at all. But I appreciate you thinking about me."

"I always think about you." As soon as the line is out, I regret saying it. I feel myself get hot and am thankful when the waiter approaches our table to take our drink orders.

"I'll do the bottomless mimosas," I say.

"And I'll have an orange juice," Derek says right after me.

"That orange juice was $8," Derek says after the waiter walks away. "That's crazy Danielle."

"I promise you that's a good price by NYC standards. And stop worrying about how much everything costs. This is nothing and I just want us to enjoy brunch."

I can tell Derek is a bit uncomfortable so I try and shift the conversation.

"Was Denny's your favorite spot growing up?"

"I actually hated Denny's," Derek chuckles. "My family used to go to this small mom and pop diner every Saturday morning in the Bronx. We always stayed away from the Bronx unless it was to go to that diner. Then one Saturday we showed up to that diner and they were out of business. They were going to be putting up a Denny's. I've hated Denny's ever since."

The story is a bit funny but also sad. "I don't blame you," I say. "I would hate Denny's too after that."

Our drinks come and we order our food. I decide to keep it light with a strawberry waffle and Derek orders egg benedict with garlic home fries. While the waiter is here, I ask for my second mimosa.