Chapter 3.2

Jane was admiring baby Blaire (Sally's daughter) when Debbie bustled into the room, immediately taking over with her brusque, authoritative manner. "Hello, Jane. Glad you could make it. Dinner's about ready. All I have to do is set everything out. Give me five minutes. Tyler, I think I heard Amy fussing."

   Tyler nodded and moved toward the doorway. "I was just about to check in her."

   "I'll help you get dinner on the table, Aunt Debbie," Sally offered, handing the baby to her husband.

   Jane stepped forward. "Is there anything I can do?"

   Debbie shook her head. "Thank you, dear, but you're our guest this evening. Visit with the men for a few minutes and we'll call everyone else when it's time to eat,"

   Jane was let's in the living room with Colton, Tom, Dave, Jay And baby Blaire. Tom still stood beside her, staring up at her in a way that reminded her of Eddie, the funny little terrier on the TV series Frasier. She was almost tempted to pat his head.

   Colton waved a hand toward the sofa. "Make yourself comfortable, Jane. Can I get you anything to drink before dinner?"

   "No, thank you." She settled on one end of the vision beside her. Colton sank into a worn-looking recliner that was obviously "his" chair, while Dave chose a wooden rocking chair for himself and his daughter. Jay sat cross-legged on the floor, his attention fully reclaimed by his electronic game.

   Never one to savor silence, Jane spoke up. "How are Sarah and Brent, Mr. Hamilton? It's been ages since I've seen either of them."

   Colton seemed pleased that she'd asked about his other two offspring. "Sarah and a partner have a small law practice in Atlanta. Sarah's Madrid to an unorthodox private investigator—Jake Fort—and they're expecting their first child soon."

   Though Sarah has been a few years ages of her in school and they hadn't known each other well, Jane wasn't surprised to hear that Sarah was a successful attorney. She'd been an overachiever—just like her brother, Jane thought as Tyler came back into the room carrying little Amy. He sat on the opposite end of the couch, on the other side of Tom, balancing the toddler on his knee.

   "Brent," Colton continued, as if there had been no interruption, "graduated from the Air Force academy. He's training to be a fighter pilot, stationed in California right bow, but he's hoping for a transfer to Avino, Italy, soon."

   "I doubt his mother likes that."

   Colton chuckled. "You've got that right. She complains frequently that all her children moved away from Honoria as soon as they graduated high school. She's delighted, of course, that Tyler has come home to us so she can see the grandkids as often as she like."

   Jane turned turned to watch Tyler as he smoothed Amy's nap-rumpled hair. The ease of his movements spoke of experience, and made her see him more clearly as a single father, solely responsible for two very young and very vulnerable children. It was up to him, she mused, to make sure that they were fed, bathed and clothed, to take them to the doctor and the dentist, to tuck them into bed, dry their tears and soothe their fears. Having never been accountable for anyone but herself—not even a pet—Jane could hardly imagine such awesome responsibility.

   She wondered again about the children's mother, who had died so tragically young. Tyler's wife. Was he still mourning for her? Had he returned to Honoria for his mother's help with his children, or to escape the painful memories of his wife and the home they had shared in Washington? Maybe a little of both?

   When she found herself wondering if Tyler would fall in love again, she abruptly redirected her train of thought.