Chapter 8

"Okay Prim, we're going to teach you the basics of boxing

"Okay Prim, we're going to teach you the basics of boxing. So the first one is called a jab." Jed says as he shows me an example of it on the punching bag. "It's basically a quick and basic punch that you would use to set up other shots. You can use it to distract your opponent."

"There are six key jabs in boxing. Regular, power jab, tapper, space-maker, double jab, body jab, and counter jab." Kade chimes in. "So this is how you throw one. Step forward with your dominant foot, and extend out your arm forward towards your opponent to perform a regular jab. Then you would quickly retrieve your arm back into a defensive position. Your other foot should move forwards towards your lead foot to resume the basic boxing form. Got that?" He finishes off.

"That's a lot of information," I say after processing what he just said. "Okay, jab," I repeat to myself and throw a punch to the punching bag. "Like that?" I ask.

Jed nods in agreement. "Very good." 

"Okay, the next one is the cross. You use your rear hand to throw it, which would move across your body to make contact with your opponent." Nash steps in. "To throw a right-handed cross punch, throw your right hand past your face and to your opponent's and turn your body to the left. When you turn you should be coming up on your right toe and rotating your hips forward. And you do it on the opposite side to throw a left-handed cross. Pretty simple." 

My jaw hangs open and my eyes wide. I probably should have thought about this before forcing my way into this match. "Okay, I got it. I think." I say slowly. I quickly throw a punch and pivot my body the opposite of the hand I just used. "Like that?" I ask again.

Kade claps slowly. "You're getting there. Okay, last one."

"There's one more?" I ask. This is too much. But I gotta do this, for the families.

"Yep. Well actually there's more but we'll stop at three for today." I gulp and nod my head slowly. "Okay, this one is called a hook. Probably one of the most powerful boxing techniques. So most of the power of this punch comes from your torso and legs, not the arm. So don't work your arm too much on this. So let's pretend you throw the right hook, you need to rotate your entire body by turning your hips in the same way. Have your right elbow come up as you throw your right hook towards your opponent and make sure to keep it high as you do it." Kade explains to me.

"Okay, hook, simple. I hope." I whisper the last part out. Kade shows me an example of how to throw one and I do the same to the punching bag. 

"That's right." He says and a proud smile forms onto his lips, causing me to smile right back.

"Okay, we'll take a quick break then you're gonna do some boxing with Jed," Nash says as everyone breaks. Heath sits quietly on the bench, observing my every move. 

When I go in the ring to practice with Jed, I'm going to feel a lot of pressure. I know Heath's probably upset with me right now, but I want to do this. Even if I may get a nose bleed or a black eye. 

♠︎ ♠︎ ♠︎

I duck under Jed's arm as he swings a punch towards my stomach. I know he's going easy on me, and I appreciate that. But if I am to go up against someone double the time better than I am, then he might want to be a bit less careful around me.

"Jed, please don't go easy on me. I know you care about me but let's pretend that I stole your favorite hoodie and never gave it back." I say as I get into a stance again. 

Jed gasps. "Oh no, you didn't." He says and begins to aim at me a bit harsher. I manage to dodge most of his punches but some he manages to land a few blows on me. I know he's still going easy on me but I appreciate the fact that he tries to make it a bit more challenging.

I throw a right hook to his jaw to which he stumbles back. He holds his hands out in surrender. "You win." He says.

"I need a quick break," I say and jump out of the ring to drink my water. 

"You were pretty good up there," Kade says as he takes a seat next to me. "Someone hasn't kept their eyes off you." He adds pointing his head in a direction. I follow his gesture and look at Heath who's now texting on his phone.

"He's just looking out for me. In a way." I add.

"Uh-huh. Okay, your break is over. Come on, your up against me next." He says as he pulls me up and sets my water bottle down. "I won't go easy on you as Jed did. So be prepared to face the master." He adds with a smirk. We both get into the ring on opposite sides. "Get ready." He reminds me. 

I get in my stance and Jed lets us know when we can begin. "May, what are you doing here?" Kade says. Panicked, I turn my head around to find no one. Huh? Next thing I know I get knocked down on the floor with a thump.

"Ow," I say as I clutch my head. What the fuck? Why would he do that?

"Rule number one, don't get distracted," Kade says with a wink and gets off of me. I look around to see Jed shaking his head and Nash with a supporting smile. Heath just glares at Kade. For what, I'm not sure.

"Thank you for tackling some sense into me Kade," I say as he helps me back up to my feet. "And that hurt by the way," I add.

"I know it did. But it'll hurt a lot more once you're actually fighting someone that's not me." He says seriously and hops out of the ring. "Nash, you're up," Kade says as he pats him on the shoulder. 

Okay, I hope this isn't awkward. I take my stance in the ring as Nash makes his way inside. He walks towards me and grips my wrists in his hands. He repositions my fists so that it's higher up my face. "Like that so it blocks your face." He says and walks back to his stance.

Jed tells us to go and we circle each other for a bit. Nash attempts to jab me but I manage to block it. He nods his head in approval. I go to punch him square in the face but he grips my wrist and punches me in the gut instead. I slump down on the ground, that actually hurt. "Get up Prim." I hear Heath's voice call out. 

I manage to climb back up and Nash and I circle each other once again. I take a jab at him, hitting his jaw, causing him to stumble back a bit. He lunges at me and sweeps me off my feet. Literally, causing me to end up on my butt, on the floor. "Ow, my butt," I whine as I turn on my side. 

Nash chuckles a bit before he picks me up, bridal style, and carries me out of the ring, setting me on the bench. "You can always ice it." He says as he hands me my water bottle.

"Can I take another break?" I mumble.

"10 minutes, then you're going against Heath," My eyes automatically widen at hearing the name. Heath? As in the Assasin, Heath? He's gonna beat me to the pulp.

I gulp and take a glance at Heath who cracks his knuckles. He stands up and turns my way, giving me a wink before heading to the punching bag, throwing punches. Oh god.

♠︎ ♠︎ ♠︎