[01] blindfolded

┌────────────┐MADDIE ALBAH└────────────┘

┌────────────┐
MADDIE ALBAH
└────────────┘

JULY, 2018
▬▬▬▬
BLINDFOLDED

HONESTLY, WHEN the school holidays had started, Maddie thought she'd be sleeping in until late in the afternoon. Not waking up at the break of dawn. Even with her eyelids closed, she could tell it was still dark outside her bedroom windows. So, she didn't understand why her mother decided to walk into her room at this ungodly hour, shaking her awake.

Maddie groaned, frustrated she wasn't going to get her beauty sleep in as she turned away from her mother, stuffing her head into her soft Egyptian satin pillowcase. Squeezing her cognac brown orbs, she wished this wasn't happening. Unfortunately for her, it was indeed happening. Her mother's perfectly manicured hand on her shoulder as she hid beneath her covers, Vickie continued to rock Maddie back and forth.

"Get up, you need to pack," Vickie, her mother, said with a flat voice.

Her brows furrowed in sheer confusion at her mother's words. Pack? Why would she need to pack?

Pulling the cover away from her face, Maddie turned around to face her mother standing at the side of her bed, the light from the hallway shining in from her doorway. "Why would I need to pack?" she asked, voice deeper yet just a bit more than a whisper due to waking up.

"That isn't for you to know, Maddie," her mother replied, her cold tone still heard but that was normal. Her mother never seemed to show any affection to her eldest daughter, not even to the eleven month old baby she barely spends time with. Maddie was the one looking after her baby sister all the time while her parents worked. Her mother was a fashion designer and had her own fashion brand and magazine company. And her father was a simple man working as a baker at the closest bakery.

The least her parents could do was hire a nanny to take care of them. Especially when Maddie had know clue what the heck she was doing. After eleven months, she still didn't know the difference between a hungry cry or an I Need To Burp cry. They sounded so similar.

Alas, every time she asked for a nanny her mother just said: "I was seventeen when I had you and I was perfectly capable of raising you. You can do the same, you're almost eighteen. No excuses."

She always rolled her eyes when her mother said that. With the stress of grade twelve and trying to pass her subjects, it was very hard to study when taking care of a baby the second she got home. Maddie just wished her mother understood a child — under eighteen — shouldn't be looking after another child. It shouldn't even be a thought.