36: Late Night Confessions

"Antonio? What are you doing here!" I gasped, running over to the window and unlatching it.

"I've been waiting here for an hour." He winced as his long limbs ungracefully climbed into my bedroom.

"Why didn't you just call me?" I asked incredulously.

"Phone's dead."

We were now eye level–minus the fact that he was a head taller than me. My heart stopped at the black eye that adorned his face. Seeing him hurt was always like a punch to the stomach.

"What happened?" I gasped.

"My piece of shit father is what happened." He rolled his eyes, though not at me.

"Are you okay?"

Antonio didn't reply and gave me a measly shrug. I suspected he was downplaying his pain.

"Sit down," I tenderly instructed. "I'll get you an ice pack."

"I don't need–"

"Sit."

Antonio frowned at me before sitting down on the edge of my bed. Meanwhile, I hurried downstairs and crept past Jo's sleeping figure before grabbing an ice pack from the freezer. After arriving back to my bedroom in record time, I sat next to Antonio on my bed. He made a move to grab the ice pack out of my hand, but was surprised when I gently iced the area for him. Without waiting for me to ask, Antonio slowly began to explain his arrival.

"I've been living at Benny's place for a few weeks now. I tried moving back home tonight, but of course," he gestured to the bruise around his eye. "I'd go back to Benny's, but he's already done more than enough for me. I just need a place to crash for the night, and you're the only other person I trust, so–"

"You can stay here," I interrupted.

His dark eyes roamed over my face, as if to ensure I was truly alright with his presence.

"Thank you, Flower," he hoarsely said. I paused. There was an emotion behind his eyes, and I couldn't detect what it was. I softly blushed at the intensity of his gaze and placed my focus back on the task at hand: icing Antonio's black eye.

"Cold," he muttered with a wince.

I nodded. "Ice usually is."

We shared a look before bursting into a fit of giggles. Though, soft footsteps from behind the closed door made me freeze and place a hand over his mouth.

"Rose?" It was Jo—a clearly drowsy Jo. "Who are you talking to?"

I glanced at Antonio with wide eyes, who cluelessly stared back at me.

"Um, no one," I nervously squeaked.

"But I heard you laughing just now."

"I was just... talking to myself," I concluded.

We waited for her response in baited breath.

"Go to sleep, you have school tomorrow," she eventually replied, too tired to argue.

My shoulders sagged in relief. "Okay, g'night."

I heard Jo retreating towards her bedroom. I removed my hand from Antonio's mouth and breathlessly laughed at the close call. Though, my laugh was soon replaced with a yawn.

"We should probably get some shut eye," I tiredly scratched at my hair. "You can't risk staying on the couch, because Jo might see you. How about you take my bed, and I sleep on the floor?"

Without waiting for a response, I grabbed a pillow to place it on the ground. However, I was quickly stopped by Antonio.

"Flower, I'm not letting you sleep on the floor of your own room," he asserted, snatching the pillow out of my hands.