twentysix

"OKAY WE HAVE A SOLUTION for the Fold!" David exclaims excitedly as he holds a rolled up paper, walking up to the desk at which Nyx is seated. She'd been emerged in her work, that his sudden appearance startled her.

"Share what you've figured out." Nyx hums as she puts her pen down, glancing at Zoya and Adrian who are behind the Durast.

"In the many papers we were going to throw away, I found this." David says waving the paper around and she raises an eyebrow. He puts the roll on her desk and she takes it, unrolling it so that it covers the desk. Her eyes widen slightly as she realises that on the paper, plans for a prototype skiff are drawn.

"Saints. The bastard was planning a crossing." Nyx breaths out and David nods in confirmation.

"I asked around about this and we discover that it's already in the works. And it should be able to fit the whole army in it and to make sure not too much noise emits from the Skiff, you can put them all in a state of coma." David explains and Nyx smiles up at him in satisfaction.

"I knew you'd figure it out, David. How long before it's done? And who is in charge of building it?" Nyx asks as she rolls the paper back up and hands it to David, who takes it with a proud beam.

"Apparently it's supposed to be ready in two months and as for the person in charge, we already handled that. I was also able to find a location as to where it is." David answers both her questions and she nods, clearly impressed at how he handled this smoothly.

"You've outdone yourself as always." She muses, making him grin happily.

"Also for the whole coma thing, I just thought, maybe if it causes too much strain on you. I know a few nonlethal solutions that can induce a coma." Adrian speaks up, making Nyx raise an eyebrow curiously.

"You know your way with chemicals?" She wonders and he nods. Nyx glances at Zoya and David, who seem to be just as curious as her about his knowledge.

"Yeah. I kind of always have. So, if you want I can make one." Adrian says nonchalantly, making Nyx frown in thought.

"Adrian, have you ever been tested for Grisha?" She asks curiously and he looks at her in confusion.

"No. There aren't many testers in Os Kervo. Why?" Adrian asks curiously, making Nyx push herself up.

"Would you like to be tested?" Nyx asks as she walks around the desk. David moves to stand aside, leaving Adrian to face Nyx. He looks at her in bewilderment.

"You think I might be Grisha?" Adrian asks, his eyes wide.

"You know that David is Durast. Durasts are part of the order of Materialki and among that order, there is also the Alkemi. They are well versed in chemicals, such as poisons and blasting powder." Nyx explains to him, crossing her arms over her chest as she leans on the edge of the desk.

"How would I be tested?" He asks curiously and she turns slightly, picking up the letter opener on the desk.

"We use pain to test for Grishas. So, just a little cut on your hand will suffice. Don't worry, I won't kill you." Nyx says teasingly as she pushes herself off the desk and walks up to him. She reaches her hand out, waiting for him to give his. He looks at her, slightly nervous about this.

"If I am Grisha, what would that mean?" Adrian asks.

"We'll find a way to get you the appropriate training." Zoya speaks up, as she stands across from David.

"I've worked with a number of Alkemi, so I know a few things and can teach you." David adds on, making Adrian nod in understanding. He takes a deep breath, before placing his hand - palm face up - on top of Nyx's hand. Using the letter opener, she uses it to cut through his skin. She holds her breath as he winces and blood trickles down on the floor.

A very small sound of something exploding barely reaches her ears, confirming her suspicions. Alkemi were able to turn chemicals into explosives substances and the Sulphur that is naturally found in dirt, is a combustable chemical. She was grateful that his manifestation only happened on a small scale, because the damage could have been deadly if it had been more than just that.

"Well, congratulations Adrian. You're one of us." Nyx hums as she puts the letter opener down and uses both her hands to reduce the bleeding. She wouldn't be able to heal him, but at least she could do this. "How do you feel?"

"Like I finally truly know who I am." Adrian says excitedly, making Nyx smile happily.

"Congratulations!" David exclaims excitedly, making Adrian beam.

"I guess you're not as useless as you seem." Zoya says, making Nyx roll her eyes and Adrian huffs. "But I'm glad you'll still be around when we reform the Second Army."

"So you can be nice?" Adrian asks in disbelief, making Zoya scoff.

"Whatever. I take it back." Zoya grumbles, making David snort in amusement and Adrian sticks his tongue out at her. Nyx takes a deep breath.

"That's enough. David please help Adrian with explaining the Small Science." Nyx hums as she walks around the desk and goes back to her seat. "That's all. Get out all three of you. Zoya, it'll be just you and I when we go see the person in charge of the Skiff."