Ouch//24

Ouch: Used to express pain.
——————————————————————

Where was he?

It was frustrating to play the waiting game with a murderer. Jack didn't come to the apartment on Monday night, (Y/N) had stayed up until one waiting for his arrival for nothing. She couldn't really bring herself to go to sleep, knowing that if he were to appear in her room uninvited and woke her up – she'd probably have a heart attack.

It was Tuesday night already, and there were no signs of him anywhere. (Y/N) thought that maybe she needed to write a letter and leave it at the tree again for him to spawn, but it sounded stupid. Not knowing when the boy would appear made her both cautious and nervous in the late hours.

She didn't have to worry about him appearing before eleven at least, so she used some of that free time to catch some sleep. Her friends went crazy seeing her in such a condition yesterday, she couldn't afford to worry them any longer.

It was almost midnight and (Y/N) wasn't thinking about sleeping any time soon. She sat on her couch while scrolling through social media, hoping to find something relatively interesting to help her kill time. It felt like ages passed until she found an interesting article, but before she could even start to read it, a message popped up on her screen.

"I am bored, please keep me company." 

Oliver.

Giggling, the girl dialed his number and put him on speaker. She didn't talk to Oliver since Saturday, only texting him here and there – even if he had told her to call him every day. He wasn't angry though, he was glad that she sent a message at least.

"Took you long enough. My grandma calls faster than you."

"I apologize for not living on my phone sir, unfortunately I have a life outside of my own apartment."

Hearing a chuckle from the other side, (Y/N) smiled. She was glad to hear him, his voice and presence making her feel a little bit better at least.

"What are you doing? Is that a movie in the background or is your friend Jay with you?" he said, emphasizing the word 'friends'. She wished that he could feel her eyes roll at his question.

"No, Jay and I finished the assignment on the same day and he went home. Don't get any ideas dumbass."

"Okay, okay, I won't press the subject anymore...But when you do get a boyfriend I must be the first one to know. Otherwise I'm taking that friendship bracelet I gave you."

We'll both be bones by the time that happens, especially with Jack around.

"Of course you'll be the first one to know, that's a given."

The two continued their conversation, laughing at stupid jokes. Oliver made sure to tell (Y/N) all of the latest gossip around their hometown, not missing a detail. (Y/N) didn't have much to say to her best friend, her life was pretty boring – only a few funny stories from college or work. Not like there have been any recently. Even if she lost herself in the conversations with Oliver, Jack's name repeated itself in the back of her head, making it hard to focus sometimes.

She wished that she could tell Oliver about the cannibal who visited her and made her skin crawl, but there obviously weren't any chances. Someone could tell her that she would be 100% safe to say what has been going on, no way of Jack finding out, but she still wouldn't take the chance. The secret was her to bear, and she'd carry it to her grave.

"I can't wait to see you for the holidays!"

Fuck. The girl paused for a while, making her friend call out her name a couple of times, thinking the line cut off.

"Actually, I don't think I can make it this year."

"Why?! Did something happen?" she wanted to cry hearing him. (Y/N) didn't trust Jack one bit. He could tell her that he wouldn't follow her one thousand times and she still wouldn't believe him. Hell, he could go to a different continent and she would still stay in the apartment.

"There is just too much work right now. And I've used up all of my free days from work so I can't take a break... Only for the actual day of the Holiday is when I'm going to be free."

She heard Oliver sigh. Her chest hurt from lying to her best friend so many times at this point. Hiding things from him like that, and he would tell her everything. She felt awful.

"I see, well... What if I came over again?"

"I'd like that, but no. Our parents need to have at least one kid with them. It would be a shame for them to celebrate alone." She said, hoping that he'd understand and just drop it. Him coming over would be the worst possible thing right now.

"I guess you're right. But as soon as you get the time, you better drag yourself home."

"I will, don't worry."

The clock struck two in the morning when they finished their conversation. Oliver tried to make (Y/N) hang up and go to sleep multiple times, but she would always turn him down, saying how she slept in the afternoon already and wasn't tired. That was the first truth she had told him in a while.

Cleaning up the coffee table from the snacks, (Y/N) decided to go to sleep. Jack still hasn't appeared, so she didn't feel the need to wait for him any longer.

Turning off her TV, the girl made her way to turn off the light in the living room when screeching of her window and a loud thud stopped her. The muffled groans made her turn around towards the noises, only to see the man she thought wouldn't make an appearance – bloodied and bruised.

Well, ouch.

—————————————————————
Hi hi! I wrote this chapter along with another one that I will be uploading later since this chapter was a little shorter than usual.
Also, I just wanted to say that I do read all the comments you all leave, I just don't respond to all of them sometimes. I'm very happy to see them too, so feel free to write whatever, whenever you want! :^)
Remember to take care of yourselves! <3