fifty eight

~*~*~

~*~*~

"a dragon?"

~*~*~

he had to think strategically, he had to get that cup out of here but still somehow let bellatrix think that she had done the task voldemort had asked. regulus followed his cousin up to the main desk in the foyer of gringotts, looking at the goblins that lined the desks at either side of them.

"madam lestrange," said the goblin behind the desk, "your vault, i assume?"

"why else would i be here?" snapped bellatrix, regulus felt the urge to apologise to the goblin for his cousin's behaviour but the golden glimmer in bellatrix's pocket brought his mind back to his task.

before they had left grimmauld place, regulus took the cup upstairs to compare by it to a picture he had in one of his books. bellatrix couldn't be bothered going up with him, which worked perfectly in his favour and, being as skilled at magic as he was, he used the gemino curse and made an exact replica. he put the fake in his pocket and gave the original back to bellatrix, incase a goblin asked to see what she was putting in her vault, as they could possibly tell it was a fake. it was made by helga hufflepuff herself but regulus didn't want to risk a goblin with a skilled eye telling bellatrix it was a fake. regulus almost had a heart attack at the sight of the dragon, not because it was a dragon, but because it was chained up and it looked bloody, exhausted and in pain.

"a dragon?" asked regulus as he followed the goblin and watched his cousin shake this metal thing to make a noise that the dragon clearly didn't like and made it feel very distressed. bellatrix had a smug smile on her face, as if she enjoyed watching anyone and anything in pain.

"we need a guard," said the goblin, opening bellatrix's vault for her.

"an innocent creature is the guard? how is that fair?" asked regulus sourly, "why not get a group of your goblins to do it and see how they like being chained up and in pain?"

"regulus, it doesn't have feelings," said bellatrix, patting his shoulder as she walked past him with a smirk on her face and she whispered, "can't say the same for alice and frank longbottom."

"what?" asked regulus, dread washed over his features as bellatrix laughed evilly and entered the vault.

regulus followed suit, he had to see where she put it and switch it, he had to stop thinking about alice and frank and how he let them down. regulus watched his cousin as she pondered where to place it, he tried to keep his anger and disgust at bay because he had this job to do and he couldn't mess it up. this was for alice and frank, and so he couldn't let them down again.