twenty-three

WAIT, M83

WAIT, M83

TWENTY MINUTES.

That's how long it took my brain to register that something was wrong. I couldn't figure out what my brain was pestering me about. My mind had already been running at multiple miles per hour. Reliving the last conversation I'd had with Genesis at the museum. I didn't realize what brain had been screaming at me until I found myself at the foot of the crystalline water pool. My mind had been telling me to find Genesis. That's when the panic kicked because I could see her. At the deep end. Not coming up for air.

I head into the water, giving my clothing no thought. I swim to the deep end for her. I feel around. The chlorine in the water doesn't allow me to open my eyes for long. Once I find her, I take her in my arms, bringing her close and up to the surface. I release a small gasp when breaking the surface. I breathe deeply as much-needed oxygen fills my lungs. Mentally, I curse myself for not coming down to the pool with her when I knew she wasn't doing well.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I ask her when I hear her gasp for air. Swimming, I push her against the end of the pool, keeping her in place. She coughs. Her arms and legs automatically wrap around me.

"I'm sorry," she cries.

"Do you know how heart-wrenching it is to call the number of the one you love to no avail? To call every local hospital to see if they ended there with God knows how much intoxication in their body? I didn't know if you were alive after speeding off in that storm," I snap at her as if she were a child.

"I'm sorry," I hear her mumble.

"Have you been taking your meds?" I ask.

"Yes," Genesis nods. "Though that won't stop me from feeling disappointed with myself."

She lets out a humorless laugh.