sjau

"The burning fire was cold as ice

"The burning fire was cold as ice. Not because it was a hallucination but because my soul was warm as a volcano..."

Nidhi Prajapati

CRACKLING AND HEAVY THUDS OF COLLIDING WOOD RESONATE THROUGH THE SNOWY NIGHT AS THE BONFIRE IGNITES FOR ALL OF THOSE WHO WISH TO HUDDLE AROUND IT. The forms of Jacob and Benjamin are the closest to the epicenter of the group as they work together to stoke the flames. A heavily decorated log rests at the top of the bonfire slowly burning as the lot is separated into their cliques at varying distances from the light source. The vampires begin to slowly congregate at the fallen logs strategically placed as benches while the older wolves from the Uley and Black packs hoard around Esme for their nightly stash of snacks and food.

A few short strides away from the crowd at the bonfire, the Lothbrok family huddled in their own little circle decorated in woven cloaks, leather armor, heavy face pigments and leather belts covered in small weapons. Each of their faces grim under the dark eye pigments and their foreheads decorated with runes dedicated to protection and strength in these hard times. Hand in hand, they brought their heads forward into the center of the circle and rested their foreheads against one anothers. A moment of stillness came over the family before Ragnar cleared his throat and in unison, they spoke out their prayer.

"Lo there do I see my father. Lo there do I see my mother. Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters. Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me; they bid me take my place among them in the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever."

After their prayers, each member of the family rested the foreheads together as a final remark of familial love before separating from one another all heading towards the crowd gathered around the lustrous bonfire. Trailing behind the rest of her family, Ulfhild trudged through the snow, eyes locked on the tread marks her feet were making. Not paying any attention to what was going on at her normal eye height, Ulfhild drove head first into the strong back of her halted father. Shaking herself out of her stupor, the hybrid moved her eye line from her feet up to the three pairs of molten gold eyes staring her down with the stillness of marble statues.