2

The darkness around you slowly starts to become maddening.
You have no idea how long you have been sitting here, back against the wall and aching hands.

The torch that used to give you a bit of light stopped burning a while ago and your feeling for time disappeared into thin air and the girls had somehow managed to take your bag from you without you noticing.

So you are stuck in the never ending dark, with an empty stomach and freezing. 
Chances, that you would die down here seem to be quite high and that thought doesn't even scare you.
You don't even know why it doesn't. Maybe because you don't even know how living works, taking in perspective that all your life you just existed.
Your thoughts wander since there isn't much more that you can do in this situation and you wonder what will happen to you.

What if they'll let you go? You'll have to find a way to get money, but you highly doubt that that will happen.
The chance of them killing you or letting you rot in this cell seems to have a slight higher possibility, taking in perspective that one of the daughters suggested 'hanging you like a pig'.
If at least you would have some light down here…

Staring into the absolute nothing took a toll on your sanity, at least you feel like it and you wish that at least a little bit of light would be down here so your mind would stop playing tricks on you.

Days could have passed by and you know that wouldn't even notice. 

Then, the silence gets interrupted by steps, heavy sounding steps and with the sound a subtle golden light filled the dark.
A second later the torches lit up again and your eyes widen as they fall onto a gigantic woman, dressed in a white dress and a black hat who now enters the basement

You watch her with parted lips as she sits down on a chair that was positioned right in front of your cell. The last time you were able to see that chair hadn't been there, or has it?

,,So… You are the little intruder my daughters found yesterday", the woman says with a husky voice, her eyes scan you up and down and her red painted lips curl into a light smile ,,Or rather said, thief".
You just stare at her in slight amazement and also fear since it doesn't occur that often that you have to face a, almost ten feet tall astonishingly stunning woman. 'This is the mother of the girls?' you ask yourself.

Not a single word or tone leaves your mouth and you aren't sure if you are supposed to say something.
,,You were searching for money, they told me", the woman continues and she crooks one eyebrow ,,And you stole some, as well as plenty of other items of high worth".

You sit still, her gaze laying on you like a silent threat and you forget how to breathe for a second. You don't feel particularly scared in that moment, the woman doesn't appear to be mad.
Beside the intimating look she also had an expression of curiosity on her pale face and you manage to feel slightly more relaxed.
At least your heart stopped racing.

,,What is your name?", she asks now as she elegantly draps one leg over the other and she leans forward just a bit, running her eyes over you once more.
,,Y/N", you answer after a bit of hesitation and she nods slowly, to herself you assume.
,,Mhm. And why were you trying to steal my property?".

It had been such a stupid idea, thinking about it now makes you realize how badly you screwed up.

,,I… I don't have… I don't have anything", you say and the woman raises one eyebrow.
,,By the looks of it you sure have something", she says, gesturing toward the clothes you are wearing.
,,Yeah, well. Uh, those are the only clothes I own", you dart your eyes away from her and stare onto the floor ,,And the ones in my bag, of course. I got out of the… The orphanage today and those were the things they gave to me".

,,Orphanage?", the woman repeats and tilts her head to the side what you only see from the corner of your eye ,,You don't have parents?".
,,Obviously not, no", you roll your eyes and cross your arms in front of your chest ,,No family, no one. Nobody adopted me, I had a plan, didn't work and now I am here".
,,I see", she says and you finally raise your head to look at her again, only to meet a weirdly caring gaze.

Of course you are happy that the woman isn't mad at you, so your chances of staying alive increase by a bit, but why would she care? She doesn't know you.

,,Where did you plan on going?", she continues and you shrugg.
,,Not sure. Somewhere else, I guess. Another village".

,,Why don't you stay here?".

You stare at her when she spoke out that offer and you have to think for a second.
It wasn't that easy to understand why she would want you to stick around, taking in perspective that you literally wanted to steal from her.
But the castle did seem nice, you like it here and wasn't that what you dream about? Living in a large, beautiful building?

,,May I ask, why?", you then say quietly and the lady sends you a smile.
,,I have my reasons". And that was her answer.

She doesn't seem like she wants to murder you but something feels off about this whole thing.
Yet, you came to the castle to do something dangerous and illegal, aware of the stories of the disappearing people now the lady of the house offers you a place to stay. If you will stick around, would the same happen to you?
Even if, you already assumed you had to die a few hours ago, or days, you weren't sure when the encounter with the daughters happened, so why not take the chance?

,,Do I have to work here, then?", you ask and the woman's lips curl into an even wider smile.
,,Don't worry about that. I will find a proper place for you", she says softly and you take in a deep breath.

,,Okay. Then… I will stay".