Chapter 15 || It's Never Too Late For Breakfast

It is another boring Monday morning. After the events on Saturday night, I've been sure to steer clear of Max and just get on with my life. I shouldn't let a stupid boy effect my emotions.

Lightly drumming my fingers against the table, I sigh and look around the room. Everyone's heads are ducked down, intent on completing the paper in front of them - Our science test. Yes, the unfortunate week has come by where all assessments and exams are crammed into the same week - a planned tactic by the teachers to make the students suffer.

Infinite minutes pass until the end of period four bell finally rings. I push out of my seat, handing my own finished test paper to the teacher and making my way out of the classroom and into the school corridors, where students are gradually filling up the room and heading towards the cafeteria. I follow the crowd, and upon my arrival to the cafeteria, I am pleasantly surprised to find Blake and Abbey, a voluptuous brunette in my English class, shoving each other's tongues down their throats.

As I walk to my lunch table, my mind begins to drift off and I begin to wonder why he is the way that he is. Is he just naturally a delinquent or is there a reason behind it? The question has come across my mind a few times, and his rebellious nature still perplexes me. He doesn't seem to have had a rough upbringing. His home situation seems pretty good. I know his parents aren't around often but it seems Marisa and Jay do reach out to him as much as they can.

I sit next to Elle and greet her with a smile. She scowls in frustration at the scene in front of us and scrunch up my nose in response, "I know."

"He's beautiful and all, but please, I need a break! My appetite has vanquished," she sighs.

"Yeah I know, but just try and ignore it," I tell her as I stare at Blake, jealousy flaring within me.

"It's kinda difficult when they're practically having sex in the middle of the cafeteria. They're all over each other," she scowls at me, "Ugh. I'm just in a crabby mood. Been staying up late every night - no thanks to all these damn assessments... Bronte? Bronte, are you listening?" she asks, clicking her fingers in front of my face.

I snap my longing gaze away from Blake and smile at Elle, "I know. I had the same problem. I was up till 2am last night. I'm exhausted."

Elle raises an eyebrow, "Were you just giving Blake googly eyes?"

"Ha! No."

A grin cracks onto Elle's face, "You were! I see you, Bronte. I see you."

"Stop it. How could I have a crush on a guy who has been nothing but mean to me?"

"Hey, I never said anything about a crush," she raises her eyebrows at me and my frown deepens.

"I mean... What I'm saying is that, I'm not attracted to him. He's good looking and all, but he's mean and I don't like mean people."

"You like me though."

Fair point.

"You're an exception," I tease and Elle laughs.

▲ ▲ ▲

The rest of the week goes by uneventfully, apart from many sleepless nights of studying. But now, it's finally over and so here I am, lying in bed on a Saturday afternoon and watching Netflix. Earlier in the day I was out the front gardening with Marisa which was a lot of fun, I must say, because we talked about a lot of different things and we got along really well.

I hear a knock at the door, "Come in," I call, pausing the movie.

The door swings upon and Alec sprints inside. "Bronte!" he squeals, rushing over to me excitedly.