𝐂.26

convincing at the cemetery

"SHE SAYS SHE'S NOT COMING," Pope shouts over to John B and JJ as he exits The Wreck

"Why the hell not?" JJ says, sticking his head out of the car due to Marty sitting on his lap. It is a little tight and sweaty but he liked her on his lap, he wouldn't change it for the world.

After a shrug coming from Pope, both JJ and Martha turn their head to judge John B, who is sitting overtly quiet. "What'd you do to her, John B?"

"Shit," the kid mumbles, hitting his steering wheel in frustration.

"Language," Marty scolds, upset with the fact that he hurt Kie in some way or another.

He rolls his eyes, sighing in disbelief about Kiara. "Hang on. I'll deal with it," he adds, turning off the ignition and quickly exiting the van door.

"Language? Who are you? Captain America?" Pope jokes as he walks back down the stairs and into the van, sitting behind the couple.

"I'm so happy you get things," Marty smiles, turning her head to look at Pope.

"I understood that reference, too," JJ states matter of factly, gaining pats on the back and a ruffle in his hair.

"Do you think he's handling it well?" Martha questions, motioning her head towards the restaurant.

"That kid has a lot of issues, you gotta be more specific than that, Mars," Pope declares, shrugging off in uncertainty. "Like in there? She'll forgive him, probably."

"Oh, right," Marty bites her inner cheek, unsure of what she means. She feels the cooling sensation of JJ's metallic rings hitting her warm skin, his fingers tracing petite circles on her thighs.

"Uh, I guess the family issue. It broke my heart when he asked about having an actual family."

"Yeah, I think it's making him feel better," JJ says softly. "He's always felt alone, even when his dad was around, so having you are making him feel much better about his situation."

"Yeah, Big John wasn't really the greatest father on Earth, per-say," Pope continues, watching the backdoor in case his friend came back early. "Don't get me wrong, John B loves his dad very much but I can't deny the number of complaints that have been spewed out of the kid's mouth. For the longest time, he told me he felt unwanted, that his father spent more time looking for the treasure than his actual son."

➵ ➵ ➵

"YOU MIND IF I JUST RELAX ON THIS ONE?" JJ voices from the back of the van. "It's been a long day and a lot of weird stuff has gone down." Martha snuggles into his chest, her eyes becoming heavy from his tired voice; usually, they're asleep or just barely awake in her bedroom by now.