47. Hospital Arguments

~song of the day~
  At my worst - pink sweat$

  ~song of the day~   At my worst - pink sweat$

It's been a week. A week since the accident.

A week since Zyair's has been in a coma.

The doctor had said he'd wake up anytime. But anytime could be tomorrow or the next ten years.

It's been only a week, yet it felt like a year. And life had been nothing but a surreal blur this past week, forcing most of us to realize Zyair brought his special light into our world.

Christmas break was coming up, but it didn't feel like Christmas. It couldn't. Not with Zyair bedridden and our hearts caged in darkness.

Exams were also coming up, but the last thing I cared about was my grade and the stupid school. I sincerely curse the day I met Luca.

This was not how my senior year was supposed to go. This was not how our senior year was supposed to go.

I never imagined I'd spend a week in the hospital, crying and praying to God- who I only remember exist during times like this- in the hospital.

But I wasn't the only one in pain. We all were. Aaron hasn't eaten the entire week, frustrated and bummed that he can't visit Zyair in the hospital.

Ashley had eyebags for days, mostly from crying all day but also from lack of sleep- troubled she might be next on the list. She was the only one who hadn't  left Zyair's side throughout the entire week.

Zyair's accident was a wake-up call for us all. The Cagers were vicious, and we never felt scared until now because we've finally witnessed their brutality.

Fawn was the only one who still attended school, and who could blame her? She wasn't trying to ruin her straight As. She still made an effort to visit Zyair every day.

Gray, on the other hand, couldn't be predicted. He was a numb as a statue, almost a dead body- barely speaking, barely eating. He was also the only one who hadn't visited Zyair the entire week.

I walk into Zyair's room with a bag of tangerine for Ashley. She loved tangerines.

"Hey, " I give her a small smile, setting the bag on the brown center table.

Ashley slowly raises her head from the edge of the bed, where Zyair was laying on- connected to multiple tubes and wires.

The sight of him broke my heart every time, and I find myself saying a quick prayer to God.

"I got you tangerines, " I gesture towards the bag, walking towards her and placing my hands on her shoulders.

She looks up at me, the pain she felt evident in her eyes. "Thanks."

She sniffs and returns her gaze to Zyair's hand, playing with his fingernails. "He doesn't like his fingernails long. They....they... They... are...getting too long. He won't like that, " she breaks, her words incoherent, her low lips shaking as she cries softly.