Chapter 75

They had to bide their time.

Esmeray would have preferred to barge through the doors, have her, Vincent, Davina, and Freya blast every last bit of magic at Lucien, and hope for the best. The werewitch had even considered contacting Bonnie and the Heretics in Mystic Falls— Valerie, Nora, and Mary-Louise didn't know which sireline they were from, and if they were from Rebekah or Elijah's sireline, it was cause for concern, and enough motivation to get them here to help take down Lucien.

Obviously, this wasn't about to happen.

Klaus knew she was hungry for revenge. He was fine letting her loose— she, Vincent, Davina, and Freya wouldn't have to worry about Lucien's venom, just his strength. And yet, he knew there was no guarantee it would work. Four witches, as strong as they were, against hundreds of furious Ancestors... it didn't bode well.

He tried to get her to relax while Freya cooked up a plan. She'd come to his art room to watch him paint, thinking it was probably the only way to remain at ease while Freya found a solution to their problem. Esmeray was doing some brainstorming of her own while she watched Klaus paint the canvas several shades of blue, for apparently no reason.

"Hey," she said in her mind, trying to contact Anya now that she wasn't so stressed. "Are you there?"

No answer.

"Can you live up to your namesake, for fuck's sake? Anya was always there when I needed her. You're inside of me, you can't have disappeared."

Clearly, she wasn't calm enough.

"Hello?"

Esmeray sat up, because she hadn't said that, and neither had Klaus or Anya. The Original stopped painting, and with a frown, set his utensils down. "Davina," he muttered.

He and Esmeray sped down to the entrance, where they saw a very worried looking Davina.

"What's the matter?" said Klaus, surprisingly gentle. "Where is Kol?"

"That's the thing," said Davina sourly. "Your brother tried to leave New Orleans without saying goodbye, and the Ancestors won't let him, so he's back in the St. James Infirmary, and we can't do anything about it."

Esmeray had heard about Kol being under the Ancestors' control. She swore loudly, making Davina look at her, startled. "I swear to fuck, the day those Ancestors are gone, I will throw a fucking party," she muttered.

"I was wondering," said Davina, facing her, "you don't use Ancestral magic, and I know Freya's busy, so—"

"No," said Klaus sharply, before Esmeray could answer. "You and I may both love Kol, Davina, but we both know he is a reckless fiend when he wants to be, and Esmeray does not need that sort of interaction at the moment."

Davina clearly didn't know much about what was happening in Esmeray's life. She knew nothing of the past interactions between Kol and Esmeray. "Huh?" she said, staring at the hybrid. "He's your brother. I was under the impression she got along with all your siblings, considering what Kol told me about her and Finn."

"With Kol, it's a bit different," Esmeray told her in a bit of a strained voice. Truthfully, she and Kol hadn't really gotten to know each other, and all she really remembered was him looking at her like she was a sex doll in the past. "But I can—"

"No," repeated Klaus. "Kol cannot leave his location, lest he be marred by the Ancestors' magic. If you walk out of these doors, you will be in immediate danger."

Davina looked frustrated. "No one said you can't come with her."

"How about," said Esmeray, who, in this moment, chose to be selfish and stay where she was safe, "I send you some spells you can try? We can FaceTime if you need help with them. I just... don't want to run the risk of seeing... him..."