Chapter 6

You guys are probably an mad at me now, I'm really sorry! I wanted to update, I did, I just.... Couldn't. I'll try make it up to you. Anywhooo enjoy the chapter.

"It's too skew"

Artemis' jaw dropped "what?" She asked stupidly.

"It doesn't look right, do it over" Gally turned and started walking away. Artemis ran to catch up with him "No, you don't understand. You made me do this three times over already. It took me nearly an hour each time!"

Gally whirled on her a crazy mad look in his eyes so intense Artemis took a step back "Look, it isn't my fault you can't even build a shuck chair. If you knew you'd be too weak why'd you stay? Huh? You wanna be a Glader you gotta prove to be an asset, not a liability. Of course, you are just a girl, we shouldn't expect much." Artemis's eyes were really wide now her lips slightly parted. "Go and finish the chair, shank" Gally said. Artemis steeled herself and raised her head slightly. "No," Gally raised a brow "what?"

"You heard me Gally. Is this really about the chair, or are you just bitter because Alby didn't send me out into the maze when you asked?"

"You're a girl. The only one. Even a blind shank could tell that you don't belong here." He turned and started walking again. Artemis knew she should've left it. But she couldn't still herself from calling out "Is it really because I'm a girl?" Gally stopped. "Or are you hiding something?" His shoulders tensed "I mean, what did I ever-" SLAM. Artemis felt her back hit a tree a hand closed around her throat she grabbed at the hand  and stared back into Gally's eyes which were red with anger. "I have nothing to hide. You don't belong here. Excuse me if I'm the only one man enough t tell it to you" he snarled, almost foaming at the mouth. Suddenly he was removed from her view. Artemis gulped in air and rubbed her neck "Missie, you okay?" It was Newt. She nodded and looked to Gally who was on the ground his face almost as red as the blood spurting from his nose. Newt pulled him to his feet by his shirt collar "Alby'll be hearing about this." He said. Artemis straightened up and grabbed at Newt's arm. "No. Newt. Please" Newt looked confused "No?" "Don't tell Alby.... Please" Newt raised her chin and lightly touched her neck "He hurt you, Artemis. That isn't okay" Artemis pulled his hand away, trying to draw the attention away from the reddening skin. "It's punishable by banishment, right?" Newt nodded "The way you guys reacted when Gally mentioned banishment... It was bad.... I..... I don't remember much about... Who I was...before. But I know.... I know that causing Gally that same fate when I can prevent it... It's just not me...against anything I might believe in." Newt searched her face intently then nodded. "If you're sure. But if he ever does-" "I can take care of myself, Newt" she said. Newt nodded "I know." He smiled at her then then turned around and walked away. "Don't think this changes anything. I don't owe you anything" Gally said willing blood from his nose with his hand. Artemis looked over at him, her dark stormy eyes swirling intensely. "I know. I didn't think so." She walked away from him and caught up to Newt "Any other jobs for me, Newtie?" He glared at her. "How can you be so...calm?" He asked stressing the last word "Hey, I'm alive aren't I?" She giggled. "No one was there, Artemis if I hadn't showed up you would've...you could've"

"Newt, but you did show up. I'm fine, really"  she mumbled. "Why does it bother you so much?"

Newt sighed "I don't know it just....does. I can't explain there's this feeling that I've...."

"That you've...?"

He shook his head. "Nothing, it's nothing. It's nearly dinner. I'll have you help Frypan out a little, alright?"

"Alright" Artemis said, then she smirked "Good that."

"Already starting with the Glader slang, lass?" He remarked.

"Oh, just trying it out." She said before waving at Newt and walking to the Homestead.

"Honestly though, Artemis, you should consider it, you're pretty good"

"Frypan, I nearly burned water." Artemis said, removing the stained white apron. "Hey, ain't no one who doesn't burn something on their first try." He said, smiling at her. She smiled back "Well, I actually kinda enjoyed it, I'll consider it." He nodded "I think Chuck saved you a seat" he nodded to a table where Chuck was sat waving to her and patting a seat next to him. She chuckled and waved back. "Would you like to join us?" She asked. "Oh I don't....oh hell, why not?" They walked to the table and Artemis sat next to Chuck while Frypan sat on Chuck's other side. "How's it going, Greenie" he asked. She refused to acknowledge him and acted like she didn't hear anything "Oh, alright! How's it going AR-TE-MIS?" She smiled "It's going great, Chuckles." "What happened to your neck?" Chuck suddenly asked. "What?"

"It's got like..." Chuck sighed and handed her a clean spoon "look" she looked in it and could barely see anything on the scratchy metal surface but she was able to make out a few reddish-purple lines. She mentally cursed her pale skin that had bruised so easily she touched it, if Gally had strangled her for any longer or held any tighter her throat might've gotten swollen. She wasn't sure how she knew this. "Shuck, I'm bored." Minho plopped into a chair and dramatically lay a arm over his forehead. "I vow to never stay in the Glade when I should be running ever again."  Artemis rolled her eyes "You know, I think 'male' is a kind of disease that replaces a humans brain with that of a slightly deranged bird" Minho stared at her for a while before saying "Sorry,  I don't speak girl, perhaps you could try...oh, I dunno, English?" "Oh, I'll try, Minho, but it's just... I don't want to put unnecessary strain on your brain, and I can't really speak 'Idiot' very well... Are you sure you can handle English?" Minho crossed his arms "Got quite a mouth on you, Missie." Artemis shrugged "The key is to actually use it to, you know, speak sense". Newt sat next to her and whistled through his teeth, "Don't bloody kill each other yet!" He picked up his fork which seemed to remind the others they were supposed to be eating. Artemis scooped up some of the bobotie and popped it into her mouth. She nearly moaned at the taste. Note that I said nearly. She still had a reputation. Anyway,the food was good. "So, how was the kitchen, lass?" Newt asked her in a hushed tone. "It was alright, actually, thanks. How was your day?"

"Bloody perfect." New said.

That night Artemis couldn't sleep. "Prove to be an asset, not a liability" Gally's words rushed through her mind. Suddenly she got up and walked over to a pile of wood, carefully not to wake any of the Gladers. She grabbed some nails and a hammer. One thing she knew for sure, she didn't give up.
Please, VOTE & COMMENT it does wonders!
XOXO