Introspection

Enlisting had been easy enough. Although she didn't have any papers like the majority of the men there because she was volunteering, and thankfully, Mykel could vouch for her place of birth and family name. Once they had all signed up, they were placed in the training barracks. Her nerves were at an all-time high here because while she was tall for a woman, and taller than a lot of men, some of these men were taller than her. They intimidated her more than Atlas or her husband ever had. It was likely due to the fact that she didn't know these men. She didn't know their nature. 

The first two days, she kept to herself mostly. Mykel found some friends among the new recruits real quick, while Ander did the same as her. They both knew that with Mykel being a lord's son, he was bound to attract attention and new friends. 

She was also glad she didn't attract too much attention as well, because she was still reeling from the fact that Atlas was the prince or soon to be king now.

It hurt to know that Ander and Mykel knew of his identity, especially Ander, when she had told him her own secret. But she supposed that particular secret wasn't hers to know at the time.

Mykel wasn't the only son of a lord here, meaning he wasn't the only dragon kin. The reason she couldn't show her scales is because bastards of dragon kin are highly frowned upon. They were supposed to stay loyal to their mates, this she had learned from Ander.

She would have to continue to hide who she was regardless of the situation.

After the first two days, she and all new recruits were sent to initial training. This was to figure out weapon speciality. Most people had knowledge of the sword already, but the commanding officer made it clear that very few were actually able to become proficient with it. There were many swords that could be used, and each had different techniques for application.

Tallulah already knew that she wasn't the biggest fan of the sword, but through trial and error, she could find what she was actually good at. They spent each day familiarizing themselves with the different weapons. It was a good thing to have knowledge of each even if you weren't willing it.

She hated the Scimitar. Its single edge made it weird and awkward to weird. She couldn't hack and move as she pleased with it. She liked the great sword best, but it was too big for her to wield properly. She needed a weapon that could employ the use of both arms but also single-handed.

They all, the commanding officers and those she was training with, came to the conclusion that the battle axe suited her best.

The one they had on hand was a rusty two-sided axe, balanced oddly, but for training, it would have to do. Once training had ended, they'd forge her a new one, or so they promised. She knew not to get her hopes up for it, though.

There were two other axe welders in the group after the first week, a man by the name of Jareth and a man by the name Maxim. Both were taller than her and more defined in their muscles. She didn't look like she belonged with them.

They received axes in better condition than hers, which she questioned, but only in her head.

They were required to know a secondary weapon, so she chose daggers on top of the axe. Their methods of use were similar, daggers more refined, but she only needed the basics for her second weapon of choice.

Once they had chosen their weapons, a training schedule was set up. Being that there were only three axe users, they all trained together and at the same time, which was helpful for Tallulah.

They trained every other day with their primary weapons, and one day a week with their secondary.

She got used to the schedule. It kept her mind from wandering. Being that she lodged with her comrades, she had the opportunity to sleep away from Jareth and Maxim. They got along well with each other, but she didn't feel up to getting to know them because it could end badly. They seemed nice enough and in the beginning had tried to include her in things when they weren't busy training, but she made no effort to do the same.

She didn't have the luxury of making attachments, and the ones she had made hadn't stuck around. She couldn't blame Ander and Mykel. They were gifted with the sword, and with Mykel being who he was, she would've stood out with them, and not in a good way either.

On the first day she had free, she left to go into the market, picking up herbs for healing and suppression of her cycle. She had narrowly missed being found by another man the first week she was here. Dragon senses are apparently heightened, and they could smell her blood. She told a white lie about her injury to her stomach to avoid further confrontation.

That wound was healing quite well. Any pain felt now was a dull stabbing. She had to renew her tincture just once more, and then she knew she'd be healed up by the end of it. That day off, she also took the time to bathe in seclusion. She had found a pond hidden far from the encampment they'd placed new recruits in. The encampment was outside of the city, but recruits could come and go as they pleased in the city. Unless she needed the market, Tallulah stayed away from the city.

She hated that she had become so attached to Atlas in such a short period of time. She was supposed to despise him and all other men. But he is different, her brain nagged. Pfft.

Not once had she thought of the life she'd left behind. She didn't care if her husband had drank himself dead or if her stepfather would incur wrath upon her first chance he'd get, if he ever got the chance. She had no intentions on ever returning.

She had yet to see her brother, the real Talon, and hoped they never crossed paths either.

Currently, she was working on her footing for throwing the axe. It was a day off from training technically speaking, but she had nothing better to do.

That was until Ander came stumbling through, obviously drunk.

"H-hey, you're Talon, goodie, I wanted to say hi," his words slurred, and he stumbled to a log next to her, plopping down in an ungraceful manner.

"Hi," she said curtly.

"Mykel wan...ted t-to know why you're a-avoiding us," he said.

"I'm not," she said. Lie.

"I can sm-smell that lie, Tallulah," he whispered that last part.

"Okay, fine, I figured you guys wouldn't want to be seen with me, and I also didn't want to draw too much attention to myself," she hissed.

"You al-already do, w-we were all s-seen with the prince," he slurred. She blanched. Fuck. "Mykel wants to get to know his sister as well. He doesn't care you're a bastard," that last part pinged in her heart.

"I... okay," she relented. She had known that her and Mykel were siblings. Technically, she was older, but it hadn't really settled in her mind until now. Maybe this was a fresh start.