HAKU

I sat watching Kamaji's soot workers, carrying pieces of coal much bigger and heavier than they were. It amused me, but it also brought back memories of Chihiro.

Chihiro.

The girl who was small and fragile... The girl who carried others' heavy burdens on her shoulders and took them... The girl who freed me... The girl who stole my heart.

"You're thinking about her again, aren't you?" Kamaji interrupted my thoughts.

I watched a soot ball run into my foot, leaving a solid black speck stain. I picked him up and scoffed. He started to panic and squeal, begging for me to put him down. So, I did.

"What makes you think that?" I questioned without turning around.

I heard a door open and shut behind me, then footsteps.

"What do you think we are? Stupid?" Lin scoffed, pushing me head to the side with her hand. "I worry about you sometimes, believe it or not."

"I don't," I answered, continuing to watch the soot balls run into my feet. "You never have, so what makes this any different?"

I buried my face into my knees and hugged my legs with my arms. My chest grew heavy as my thoughts still surrounded around Chihiro. Does she think about me like I do her? Has she changed? What does she look like? Does she even remember me after all this time?

Suddenly, I felt a pat on my back. Lin crouched down beside me. I looked up at her, a worrisome expression on her face, something I thought I'd never see.

"Quit your sulking," she said politely. "If I recall, Chihiro put her life on hold to save yours. It's pretty clear that she loves you, and that'll give her a reason to come back."

I sighed.

"You'll see her again, son. I'm sure of it," Kamaji added with his mouth full.

Lin handed me my own bowl of onigiri as she stood and went on her way. I took a rice ball into my hand and chuckled. I remembered the first time Chihiro ate these. She cried, but she also mentioned that they were tasty. I popped one into my mouth and smiled.

Kamaji and Lin were right. My Chihiro would come back to me some day. I just didn't know when.