Ch. 06: Their promised carriage ride is fulfilled

"Seeking the Niceties of Marriage", Ch. 06:
 Their promised carriage ride is fulfilled, 
May 23, 2021 by Gratiana Lovelace (Post#1383)

(An original Regency Romance story copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace, 2021; All rights reserved)  [(1) story cover above left]

[Illustrations: I cast my stories as I write them. So from time to time, I will illustrate my story with actors and such, including: Richard Armitage as Lord Edward Carlisle, Daniela Denby-Ashe as Lady Emily Creighton, Blake Ritson as Lord Kittredge Wells, Polly Walker as Lady Patience Creighton, Bill Nighy as Lord Nigel Creighton the Earl of Stoke, and others as noted.]

[Author's Note: This original Regency romance is a work of fiction, and as such, any character names, scenes or other descriptions were made at the creative discretion of this author. And this is a gentle romance (G to PG-13), but with some frank discussions about love and marriage put to humorous effect. This is my disclaimer.]

Ch. 06: Their promised carriage ride is fulfilled

Being the attentive suitor--since she had made herself sore by having her eye brows plucked into a pleasing submission in order for her to look more feminine to him—Lord Edward Carlisle visits Lady Emily Creighton the following day. He bestows upon her another nosegay and takes tea with her--them talking about their delayed carriage ride yet to come. For though Emily's swelling, redness, and pain has abated by half, she is still in too much discomfort to enjoy a ride with him. This pattern of Lord Edward's considerate visiting of Lady Emily continues for yet a third day.

However, the fourth day with Lady Emily fully recovered from having her eyebrows plucked and tamed, she dearly wants her carriage ride outing with Lord Edward. So she sends him a note that morning indicating that she will be most agreeable to him bringing his smart open gig around this afternoon for their promenade in the park. And then she invites him to partake tea with her after. Lord Edward sends a reply that he will be most happy to oblige her at four o'clock this afternoon.

Lady Emily is thrilled to not only have a carriage ride with her Edward, but that they will do so on full display of other potential suitors also promenading in the park, should Edward not wish to fulfill his proposal of marriage to her. Although Lady Emily will be crushed if Lord Edward declines to stand by his offer of marriage, she did not realistically think that she would even have a proposal from him or anyone. So she feels that she is already ahead in her matrimonial dreams.

Lord Edward, however, is uncertain as to whether it is wise to pay such particular attention to Lady Emily were other ladies whom he might wish to become acquainted with to consider him off the market. Though Lady Emily seems to Lord Edward to bean affable invalid during her recovery, she is quite effusive in her thanks and praise for his attentions to her. He feels that she is trying too hard to please him--and she is.

However all such notions of easing himself away from Lady Emily go out of Lord Edward Carlisle's head after he collects the now quite lovely Lady Emily Creighton for their promised open gig carriage ride [(2) above right] in the park on Thursday.

Lady Emily Creighton is quite magnificently transformed into a confection of womanly charms today--due largely to her cousin Lord Kittredge Wells fashion influence—and the aforementioned plucking of her eyebrows. She wears a burgundy wool spencer jacket over her slightly lighter shade of burgundy taffeta carriage dress with fine lace accents around the low scalloped collar that quite advantageously showcases her fine bosoms in silhouette. Her burgundy kid gloved hands are in a light gray muff of soft rabbit fur.

And the chapeau atop Lady Emily's head does not overwhelm her, but rather her bonnet has a set back brim to expose and to frame the loveliness of her features and her softly curled hair—perfect for kissing were anyone to be so inclined. Her now delicately shaped eyebrows frame lovely expressive eyes sparkling with eagerness. Her pert little nose, rosey cheeks, a sweet little chin, and lovely rosebud lips round out her very favorable overall impression of loveliness. Yes, indeed, Lord Edward thinks that Lady Emily Creighton is definitely in the running to become his wife.