XXXV

both wilbur and i turned to face the voice.

there stood the blond hooded male, yet again. he pulled at his golden chain with his index finger, twisting it around his digits.

my eyes shot to wilbur, who greeted the blond male with a sour expression. a light smirk rested on punzs face.

the guard extended his hand in my direction, his blue eyes studying my form.

"cmon. im a great dancer, i promise." his voice was laced with cockiness.

i turned my head to look up at phil for approval, the older male rested against a wall. his arms folded over one another, a smug look adorned his features.

"go ahead mate, have fun." his blue eyes switched from me to wilbur, the brunette male frowning at his father.

turning back to punz, i hesitantly took his callused hand in mine. with a light grin, he gently pulled me onto the ballroom floor, stopping in the middle of everyone.

the orchestra transitioned from the last song into the new one seamlessly, the cello picking up its pace.

with delicate movements, punz released his grasp on my hand. his left hand hovering over my waist. i nodded at the taller male, resting my right hand on his armoured shoulder.

he interlocked our free hands, holding them up. as the melodious song progressed, we began dancing.

"so you went and helped sapnap." he began as we glided around the ballroom.

"yes- i felt bad for him." i mumbled out, avoiding his piercing stare.

the blond let out a small laugh, tilting his head up as he did so.

"you felt bad because youre the reason it happened?"

"what?"

i adjusted my gaze so i was looking into punzs eyes, my brows knit together in confusion.

"oh come on, y/n. i can tell youre not an idiot. dream beat up sapnap because he went to see you." punz waited for my reaction, as we made another turn on the floor.

"no- are you serious?" my eyes darted around the room, landing on sapnap who stood against one of the marble pillars. his expression changing from an agitated one to a soft smile once our eyes met.

"sapnap told me himself- fuck, he didnt even fight back." punz paused.

"you havent noticed how irritated dream gets when youre around other people." he continued.

i tilted my head to the side, to face the throne. the king sat up straight, his hands clenched down onto the armrests of his seat. a large simper on his features as he stared at punz and i.

to his left dream stood, shifting uncomfortably, his mask facing our direction. george leaned to his left, beckoning dream to lean down to him.

the masked man bent down, still staring straight ahead. george raised a flat hand to his cheek, presumably whispering something to dream, his eyes flickering back to me and punz.

"putting that aside, i want to know more about you, y/n. how come ive never seen you before this."

i shifted my head back to face punz, his eyes soft. he seemed genuinely interested.

"ive lived with phil since i was fifteen. so four-ish years."

punzs face faltered for a moment.

"four years- isnt that when...never mind."

"so in the mountains? mustve been cold." he continued with a chuckle.

i hummed in response, readjusting my grip on the blond mans shoulder.

"any family?" he began again.

"none that i recall. i got into an accident, well thats what phil said, and hurt my head badly." i paused, moving my right hand from punzs shoulder to shift a piece of hair away from my forehead, revealing my now healed injury.

"i dont remember much before then. sometimes things come back in dreams, foggy- but i cant tell if its real or not." i pressed my lips closed, placing my hand back onto punzs shoulder.

"im sorry about that. but im glad youre alright." he smiled lightly as we danced.

we continued around the ballroom, quite gracefully considering the male was decked out in weighted armour.

the music began to slow, ready to transition into the next song.

"excuse me. may i cut in?"

a/n- hey besties. sorry for the slow updates ive been working all week and i just got my covid vaccine so i feel a bit ill, but woo enjoy the book. ((also 250k+ reads? wow tysm.)) vote n comment <33