44

It was the first holiday I wouldn't spend back at home— the first one I'd stay in the castle, instead.

And now, while I was sitting on the floor if the room of requirements on Christmas Eve, it really settled in for the first time; The fact that I was preparing to curse an object rather than help my mother host her annual ball like she usually did on the 24th of December.

Merlin knew she wouldn't host anything anywhere this year— unless they miraculously allowed her to do so from Azkaban.

They didn't.

I huffed, pushing the music box in front of me to stand straight as I wondered how my father would manage to entertain Gwen for the rest of the two weeks she'd spend at home without me.

The thought fled my mind as I focused on my task at hand — already cleansed; I raised my wand and pointed it at the box just like I had the last three times. At this point, the incantation rolling off my tongue was familiar.

"Adducam maledictum tactus."

The words echoed through the large room, my heart beating faster as my surroundings reflected the fluorescent green light coming from my wand before tightly swirling around the box.

My mind was flooded with thoughts of the music coming from the box gently lulling its victim to sleep— a sleep they'd never wake up from; certain death inevitable as soon as the short melody ended.

"Adducam maledictum tactus."

As expected, the green light turned into a shimmery purple, and for a moment, I admired the way it danced around the box; engulfed it in its purple hue as if it would never let go again.

My eyes closed, and just as the incantation was about to roll off my tongue for the last time, my mind as focused on the curse's outcome as it possibly could, I heard something that made my breath hitch, and my eyes shoot open.

"Hayes." His voice rang through the darkness, a mocking tone in it as a low laugh followed.

Startled, my gaze darted back and forth, trying to find the blond sneaking around a pile, or standing somewhere in the near distance.

I swallowed thickly, cursing under my breath as I tried my best to focus back on the music box in front of me— that purple light that had illuminated my entire surroundings before almost having faded, now.

"I know you're in here, darling." It echoed through the room again, amusement lingering in his voice. My eyes snapped upwards once more to dart around frantically.

I wondered what on earth Malfoy could be doing in here as the incantation escaped my mouth for the last time— quicker this time, quieter and almost rushed as I watched the previous red engulfing the box turn into a bright burst of white light.

My eyes squeezed shut at the sudden brightness, flinching slightly as the vague shapes around me became properly identifiable as broken furniture, old books and clutter in the light.

A second later, it was dark.

Though, instead of feeling relieved that my efforts had been worth it — that I was finally done and had nothing more to do than somehow get that box into Dumbledores hands — I felt more an edge than ever before.

And as I heard Malfoy's approaching footstep — no doubt being lured here by that incredibly bright light — I prepared myself for the worst as I hid the music box behind my back.

My eyes quickly adjusted to the darkness and spotting him as soon as he turned the corner, I cut him off.

"What do you want, Malfoy?" I asked into the silence, annoyance dripping off my tongue like venom at the sight of him.