67.

The next day, Lord Tyhane met Prince Damien and Princess Amara. They had breakfast together.

The Second-In-Command spoke once they had exchanged formal greetings. 'I have grave news.'

It was something the prince had feared. 'Speak without hesitation, Lord Tyhane.'

'Sir Rowan and Lord Jeremiah have been charged with treason. They are stripped of their titles and will be executed as soon as you reach the castle.'

Damien was shocked. Never would he have ever imagined such an outline! His uncle, the Royal Advisor, capable of treason?

'Have you mentioned this to Felicia?' Amara asked.

Something in her tone told him that she had seen this coming. He decided that he would inquire about that later. 

'No, Princess Amara. We are ordered to keep a strict eye on the First Warrior for now. For now, she seems very friendly with those demons.'

'Careful there, Lord Tyhane,' the Crown Prince's tone was edgy. 'They are the reason I am here. They must be treated with the utmost respect.'

Lord Tyhane backed away. 'Of course, Prince Damien.'

'I will be checking their accommodations in the evening, so make sure they are comfortable.'

'Rest assured, they will be treated as you desire.'

Once the prince was satisfied with his answer, he said, 'Tell me more about the traitors.'

'A few weeks ago, Juanito came to the King with a piece of very strange news. Something had happened that led him to believe that Rowan had regained his eyesight. Of course, the King wouldn't believe it if he hadn't suspected the same. Rowan began to act strangely. Jeremiah was with him at all times. It seemed natural till Rowan said that he told Juanito not to follow him around anymore because he had Jeremiah's assistance.

'From then, spies were sent to keep watch on him. We found a hidden chamber that was used to communicate with the Demon Queen. He wouldn't tell us how, but many of the spies overheard their conversations.' Lord Tyhane lowered his eyes, 'They spoke about you and the princess. From what I've heard, Rowan told Queen Seyanora how to breach the castle to find you. He even knew about what you were going through when you were in the Demon Kingdom.'

Prince Damien was quiet. 

He had always respected Rowan. Even before he attempted to save Prince Damon. It was hard for him to imagine how people changed. 'His motivation?'

Lord Tyhane inhaled. 'After interrogation, it was said that he did it so that he could watch his grandson take the throne.'

The Dithrai prince clenched his fists. They ruined everything for the bloody throne!

He thought about his cousin. She had been helpful to them. If she desired to kill them, she could have done so in the wagon, she could have even killed Raphael and stopped Amara from ever getting to him.

'I believe that they didn't include her in their ploy,' Amara broke the silence.

'I hope so, Princess Amara,' Lord Tyhane replied. 'But orders are orders. I have to keep her under strict supervision.'

'Does the Crown know I'm safe?' Prince Damien asked.

'I sent a messenger as soon as you arrived. That brings us to another matter. The Crown is sending an army to us. We are to invade the Demon Kingdom.' 

'We are going to wage a war against them?' Amara asked.

'Now that we have ensured Prince Damien's safety, we can send our troops in and end this senseless feud.'

'It does have potential,' the princess said thoughtfully. 'The Demon Queen has been unconscious for quite a few days. We could strike now and win.'

This was news to Prince Damien but he didn't find the need to interrupt the discussion. He could do that later. 'Has the Crown appointed any leader?'

'Yes.' Lord Tyhane turned to Amara, 'The Crown wanted Princess Amara to lead them the army into battle.'