ONE

"Yes, Mom

"Yes, Mom. I'm fine." I sigh as I remove one of my AirPods out of my ear, placing it into its case snapping it closed as I lean back into my work chair, playing with the Rubik's cube that sat on my desk, crossing my legs, one over the other.

"Good. Good. When are you coming to visit?" she asks me for the fourth time this month. I keep skirting around the question simply because I don't have a real answer yet. I already visited last month and I don't feel like coming around every month to be asked if I've found someone to marry yet.

Because God forbid an African woman is single in her early twenties.

So I say, "I'll check my schedule. I have a few interviews lined up and I'm not sure when I'll be available to come down to the house" It wasn't a total lie. I am pretty busy, however, the interview part? More like editing other people's interviews before they go into the magazine for this month's issue.

I did have a pretty big interview at the end of the month, I was supposed to be speaking one-on-one with Kylie Jenner discussing the joys of motherhood, her successful business, and her dating life.

Besides that, I'll be completely consumed with editing and emailing managers back and forth in regards to their clients.

My mother sucks her teeth and says, "If that's the case then fine. I wouldn't want to disturb you from your work. Don't let this your job get to your head now that you've been promoted." her Nigerian accent flowing through my ears as she warns me about this yet again.

I laugh, "Never. I'll never forget you, you're my biggest fan." I teased, reaching up to the rubber band of my high ponytail, grabbing two sides of it, and pulling them apart to tighten the hold it had on my hair.

I hear a snort on the other end, I can practically see her crossing her arms shaking her head, "Biggest fan indeed. Abeg, get off my phone. You're at work."

"Oh so now you care that I'm at work?" I grin

Sucking her teeth again she says, "Tell Paola if she wants more food she's welcome to come by because only God knows if you people are feeding yourselves well or buying pizza every night. I'm hanging up, goodbye."

Smirking to myself, I put the other Airpod back into its charging case, uncrossing my legs, scooting my chair further into my desk, opening up my Macbook again, and going back to work. A journalist had just done a small story on Billie Eilish and I was going over the photos of herself that she picked personally that her manager had just sent to my email.

After college, I went on to score an internship at the People Magazine. Soon the interning job became a full-fledged position as a journalist for a year. I accompanied a fellow journalist to an interview to speak to Selena Gomez, which had my inner 10-year-old self fangirling by the way but the journalist hadn't been prepared and had zero to no questions for Ms.Gomez, assuming that she'd be able to think of questions on the fly.