Chapter 6

"How was father's lecture?" Charles asked and meanly smiled at my pale face.

"I have to write an essay about the dangers of skipping classes," I said tiredly "He also threatened me with homeschooling if I ever even think about leaving school without Russell again"

"Don't look so defeated, he went easy on you. It's your first misdemeanor after all. C'mon sit down with me" he patted the place on a sofa next to him.

"I don't get it," I said frustrated "I'm 16 why can't I go anywhere without Russell? It's not like I need a nanny to go out for a walk or something" I complained but found no understanding in Charles's expression.

"Dad is leading the team of prosecutors specialized in dismantling organized crime groups. I know it's not easy to adjust but letting you go somewhere alone won't be as easy to us as it perhaps was when you were living with your mom but a simple association with father puts you in danger"

"What do you mean? Can someone you know... try to really kidnap me?"

A shiver runs down my spine as I was looking at Charles with fear in my eyes.

"We will never let this happen to you, Ellie. Just do as you're told and you will be perfectly safe, okay?"

"Okay" I repeated quietly.

"Do you want to see Max and Dan? Today is the last day of the competition" Charles suggested.

I nodded my head in agreement. This cheered me up a little. Flynn's mansion always felt empty but now that Charles was here, it felt different. I finally had the company I needed. Quickly my happiness was replaced with sadness when I realized that the last time I was feeling like that when I was with mom.

"I prefer verbal answers, Ellie," Charles said gently but it was still an order. I couldn't figure him out. Once he was relaxed and chilling and in a split second he could become completely serious and very intimidating. As if the mask of the easygoing, friendly boy next door was slipping replaced with his true personality.

"I prefer nodding" I responded simply. I didn't know why I was testing him, perhaps I was just testing the boundaries because I still felt uneasy in his company.

"I will forgive this mishap since you're new at this sibling thing but you will want something from me and by refusing my request you're making your position to negotiate weaker"

I was pouting for a moment and then I realized I didn't want any problem between me and Charles.

"I'm sorry I will try to do as you asked"

I didn't regret my decision, I was rewarded with a warm smile and until then I didn't realize how I desperately craved someone's approval, it was addictive to make someone happy with me.

„How did it happened that both Max and Dan ended up as ice skaters?"

"Mom loved ice skating. When she was alive we would go together on the ice rink every weekend. After she died boys found a way to deal with their loss by skating more frequently. They both started as hokey players but Max discovered that figure skating fits him better"

"Shouldn't Andrew be watching too? After all his sons are competing"

"Father is always busy with work. I'm surprised to be let you call him by his first name"

"He didn't let me do anything. We never talk. Besides, I get to choose what I call him"

I could see that Charles didn't agree with me but he let this matter go, I was thankful for that.

I couldn't believe both of my brothers were participating in the international winter sports competition. We watched both Max's figure skating program as well as Dan's hockey match. While I was watching I wasn't focusing much on their performance my head was preoccupied with something else. I was asking myself if they will accept me, will they like me?

What are they like in person?

Are those people who I watch on TV really my brothers?

Meanwhile, I was just nobody. I was barely passing half of the subjects in school, I had to deal with a bully and the recent loss of my mother it felt like if anything else will happen to me my head will explode. I was just a teenager, a very unhappy and lonely one. Meanwhile, they were just... I don't know was "amazing" the right term?

I fell asleep on the couch. I was a light sleeper so I woke up when I felt Charles covering me with a blanket. I felt warmth spreading all over my chest by this gesture of care. I needed this so much. With much pleasure, I realized the competition is not yet over so he keeps sitting next to me. I wasn't alone.

A few minutes later someone else joined us.

"They both did well. Max got the first place, Dan's team has the second"

"Naturally, they're my sons"

"So, why are you avoiding Ellie?"

I stiffened but kept pretending to be asleep.

"I'm not avoiding her"

"She told me she saw you once since she came here. You know she calls you Andrew? Also since when you're giving an essay for skipping school and not grounding for two months or more?"

Grounding? I was never grounded my mom didn't punish me like that... she would usually just yell for a while if I did something wrong and we would move on. But when I was in Andrew's office today, he wasn't yelling. He was in fact perfectly calm when he was giving me warnings and asking me to finish the essay by Friday. I was slowly realizing how his parenting style was drastically different from my mother's. I didn't know what to expect.

"I have a lot of work" Andrew responded, his voice seemingly cold and indifferent.

"When will boys get home?"

"Tomorrow. I booked them a flight for tonight"

"Good, she won't be alone. I will be leaving in two days"

"Again" Andrew wasn't happy.

"Yes"

"You got a job offer at FBI, why won't you just take it?"

"You wanted me to join the military I did. Now I'm doing my own thing don't try to tell me where I should work. You think I don't know you pulled some strings to get me this job?"

Ellie couldn't help but admire those men. They were clearly both angry at each other and yet they spoke in perfectly calm, hushed voices to not wake her up. FBI? Was there a job for diplomats in the agency like that? Something didn't feel right about this.

"Your own thing is twice as dangerous as a typical military position"

"I don't know what you imply father-"

"You know damn well"

"You really want to address it here with Ellie present?"

"Get a new job after you're back. Your mother would never forgive me if I'd had to bury our son"

"I will think about it. Only because I would like to spend more time with my little sister that we just got back. You should spend time with her now that you gave a chance"

"What if it's too late? What if she never sees me as a father?"

Wait does that mean he wants me? Charles and dad... Does Andrew really want me?
____________
Hi guys,

Any comments? Questions? Thoughts? I would love to hear from you.

Thank you to everyone who commented and liked so far. This story is not doing well in rankings and I don't know if it ever will but having one person to comment and say they want me to continue was motivating enough to finish this chapter. Your feedback has power. ❤️