05. never enough

nini arrived at the gymnasium and opened the door, seeing a few members of the basketball team warming up

she sighed and noticed a few of the boys stop and look at her in confusion, ignoring them and making her way up to the stands to sit down.

ricky walked out of the locker rooms and his eyes landed on the brunette girl seated further away, confused as to why she was here but chose to ignore it.

"so, you and roberts a thing then?" one of his teammates smirked

"never thought i'd see the day," another boy smirks as ricky joins them in taking a basketball

ricky chuckles "and you never will."

he pushed nini out of his mind for the remaining of the practice, focusing on what he was doing instead.

meanwhile nini was bored out of her mind, having to see ricky dribble down the court, back and forth with a bouncy basketball for the next hour.

she held her head up in the palm of her hand as the coach ended the practice, finally taking her backpack and making her way down onto the court to see ricky.

"bowen." she calls before he could disappear off into the showers

ricky turned around, raising his eyebrows "you're still here?"

she rolled her eyes "i need a ride, my moms told me that you're supposed to give me one."

ricky folded his arms and hummed "a little please would go a long way nini,"

she kept a straight face, unamused by another one of his smirks

"i'll wait in the hall and don't call me nini," she snapped, turning around and making her way out of the gymnasium.

after fifteen minutes, she saw ricky emerge into the hallway with the boys of the basketball team, knowing he was going to be his usual stuck up self with a little extra dose at this moment in the day.

"roberts! come to watch us for practice today then huh?" justin, one of ricky's teammates smirked

nini faked a smile "yes, because there's nothing better than watching a bunch of boys run around for a ball."

ricky rolled his eyes "and singing on a stage is much more practical."

"you're opinion would be valid if you could carry a tune, but you can't so," nini shrugged her shoulders as a couple boys chuckled while ricky scoffed

before nini could say anything much, she saw a group of girls with none other than lily davis in front - not surprised that the cheerleaders were coming from their practice as well.

"hey ricky," lily grinned

ricky nodded with a smirk "lily,"

nini rolled her eyes with her arms folded when seeing the looks they were exchanging and spoke up "and i'm nini, who's also bored and wants to go home."

ricky glared at her before looking back at his friends and the girls "i'll see you tomorrow," he said as the two started to make their way down the hall and out of the school "do you ever shut your mouth?"

"oh i'm sorry did i embarrass you in front of your cool friends?" nini asked with an innocent smile before gasping "wouldn't want lily davis to think ricky bowen was a jerk!"

ricky rolled his eyes once again "how original nina,"

the girl grinned "you know," she sighs "she is really pretty, such a shame that she's a little too much of an airhead to realize how unfortunate she'd be to go for you."

"yeah, that's funny how i'm getting relationship advice from you." he shot

nini snorted a laugh "who said i'd ever give you advice? it's too valuable to be wasted."

"you're ego's just as big as your attitude."

nini scoffed "look in the mirror."

they both got into the car, making their way out of the parking lot as they now bickered over the types of music to play.

"get off my phone!" ricky exclaimed as they arrived at a red light

"this song sucks!" she exclaims in frustration

"it's my car, my music." he told her

nini rolled her eyes and kept scrolling through the different playlists before seeing a notification from lily come through on his phone

"ricky bowen has a fan club!" she gasps in fake excitement, showing him the notification

ricky groaned "give it to me." he snapped, snatching the phone out of her hands and turning it off, putting it back down

nini chuckled "probably would be a good idea to text her back! you know how impatient she is."

"again, why is any of this your business?" he questioned, waiting for the light to turn green

"aw, are my jokes too much?" she pouted "you're so defensive over a stupid thing with a girl."

ricky scoffed "wow, rich coming from you."

nini raised her eyebrows "what's that supposed to mean?"

"it means that i'm not the one who's scared." he told her

nini suddenly felt her heart rate speed up and she opened her mouth before putting on a smirk and scoffing "yeah right, whatever you say."

"aw really? so you're not scared of having to have your first big kiss in a school play?" he asked "is it because all of the guys you dated before ran away when the common sense hit them?"

nini felt a sudden rush of anger and hurt hit her in the chest and she clenched her jaw as she looked away from him.

she suddenly took off her seatbelt and opened the car door, getting out right before the light turned green "i'll walk home." she snapped

ricky rolled his eyes, knowing this was another one of her storm off's she would do whenever they got into an argument (which was daily).

nini sped towards the sidewalk and felt her breath being caught in her throat as she took a turn and leaned against the wall.

usually she never cared about ricky or his insults. she never took them personally because she was always quick with a response of her own.

but this topic was something sensitive to her, because she always wondered if the last part of what he said was true. if she would ever be enough. but she knew she wouldn't.

 but she knew she wouldn't