xxvi. snake, wraith and angel

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX ─── snake, wraith and angel 

"𝖄ou are up remarkably early for someone who was held hostage for a week," Stasiaj said as Inej opened the door of the kitchen, raising an eyebrow at Nina and her in the process. "I thought you would have slept in."

"I could say the same thing,"

"We haven't been kidnapped," Nina sent her a grin.

"I haven't gone to sleep yet," Stasiaj set a mug of coco in front of her, placing another in front of Nina and setting the third down in front of a spare chair. It was still dark outside, the only light coming from the candles in the window and atop of the wooden table.

The warmth from the oven kept the room at a cosy temperature, despite the draft coming in through the windows. Stasiaj grabbed a tin from one of the shelves, putting it down in front of the girls to reveal homemade biscuits from oat and raisins. 

"They're not chocolate," Stasiaj apologised. "But they will have to do. Our time as fugitives has not given me a lot of time to go grocery shopping."

"Food is food," Nina replied, already happily munching away on one. "Are the others awake?"

"Who knows, who cares," Stasiaj waved them off, leaning back in her chair as she drank.

"I thought you would. You know, with Kaz and all. You two have been getting pretty personal with each other," Nina replied. "Didn't he call you Princess?"

Inej snorted coco out of her nose, choking on her laughter. Stasiaj went bright red up to her ears, slamming her head onto the wooden table.

"He did not," Inej cried, keeping her voice hushed, as Stasiaj ran a hand down her face and cursed her Crow Man to hell.

"It's not what you think,"

"Isn't it?"

"Not exactly what you're thinking," Stasiaj conceded, before laughing as she saw the coco running down Inej's face. "No, no, we just found something out."

"Did you?"

"Not like that, Nina!" Stasiaj replied, as the Heartrender laughed again. "Get your mind out of the gutter."

"I think that's the only place her mind knows," Inej muttered in response, as the trio giggle again. "But Kaz, Kaz Brekker, calling you Princess?"

"I'm not even going to say anything, cause she will twist it into something dirty," Stasiaj pointed an accusing finger at Nina, who was cackling to herself. "You're horrible. Talk about Matthias or something."