Bonus Chapter: Panic

Author's Note

In celebration of Amazon Prime Video's newest series Panic, I am thrilled to be teaming up with Amazon Prime Video and Wattpad to write this exclusive chapter that puts my characters from this story into the world of Panic!

I hope this chapter intrigues and inspires you to learn more about Panic. Visit the #PanicWritingContest on Wattpad for the chance to put your creative writing chops to the test and learn more about the show!

To find out more about the contest, prizes, and how to enter, check out the #PanicWritingContest here: wattpad.com/AmazonPrimeVideo

Don't forget to watch the series premiere on May 28th, only on Amazon Prime Video, here: http://primevideo.com/

***

"You should go first."

Christian's voice cut through the cheers and jeers and the sound of the emcee's voice, although both seemed to be getting farther and farther away with every second that passed. It was enough to break my train of thought and make me look over. "Wait, what? No. Why would I go first?"

"Haven't you heard of ladies first?"

The exasperation temporarily outweighed the tumultuous wave of nausea that had started to settle in as we climbed the jagged rocks, creeping closer and closer to the top. "You're not seriously going to pull that one out right now, are you? This was your idea."

"I said I was doing it, not that you had to join me," he said.

"I'm just here to make sure you don't get yourself killed," I said, trying to sound more confident than I felt. The truth was, I was about 15 seconds from throwing up, probably a combination of nerves and the physical exertion. This was nothing like the rock wall Tori had made me climb in preparation for my impending doom. I wasn't sure I was going to make it to the top at all.

"And how's that working out for you?"

I grabbed a hold of the next rock, careful to avoid any slick-looking spots. "I'll let you know when we get back to the bottom."

He looked over his shoulder, and I saw the color leave his face. "Right. The bottom."

"Christian. Are you kidding me? Don't tell me you're afraid of heights."

He turned his focus back on the task at hand: getting to the top of the cliff we were supposed to be jumping off of. "I could tell you that.... but I'd be lying."

I let out an irritated sigh. Somehow he still managed to surprise me. "Why are we even here? You don't need the money. I don't need the anxiety. What are we even doing?" I dropped my voice to a whisper hiss when I realized a few other competitors were starting to stare.

He shrugged, a mischievous twinkle in his emerald green eyes. "Blake told me I was too chicken to do it. So I'm proving him wrong. I gotta set an example for Bubba: we don't back down from a challenge. You should know that by now."

When Christian had first told me he was entering this year's game of Panic, I thought he was joking. I mean, he'd had plenty of dumb ideas before, but this one had to take the cake. Then I realized he wasn't joking. So I told myself, well, he must have a good reason, right? Most of the people who entered this godforsaken competition did it for the money, because they needed it to get out of this speck-on-the-roadmap town they called Carp. Others did it for the rush. Adrenaline can be a pretty powerful thing. But I doubted there were many who would risk their lives just to prove their best friend wrong and impress their dog.