Chapter 34

(This chapter has a trigger warning... bullying/abuse topics in this chapter)

R Y A N

SITTING IN A BOOTH at Missy's Scooptopia, I was waiting patiently for Sophie to meet me. The winter formal is coming up and even though I'm not going because of the beautiful black eye I got yesterday, I still need to go shopping to help Sophie pick out a dress. Matthew was suppose to come with us, but it's his dad's birthday and a last minute family gathering was arranged, meaning he backed out this morning; much to my annoyance because at least while Sophie was trying on clothes I had someone to talk to.
   I scoop up a spoon full of black cherry ice cream, only having two scoops today rather than my usual three scoops of black cherry, bubblegum twist and cotton candy twist. The ice cream tastes divine on my tongue and the cookie pieces I've added taste just as good. My phone pings with a message and I look down at the screen to see a message from Sophie.

Soph🎀:
Hey!
I know I'm late, I lost track of time!
I'm leavin my house in 10mins I promise! xx

Me:
Your already late Soph! Lol
Just hurry up, I look like a loner sitting here!

Soph🎀:
OMW! xx

I huff out a annoyed breath and it's just typical. I'm always the responsible one who turns up on time, why do I have friends who are always late? I play on my phone, still eating my ice cream when the door dings and I look up to see who just walked through the door. A little part of me thought it was Sophie, but I know full well she hasn't even left her house yet only considering she just messaged me. But then my eyes meet brown orbs that aren't looking my way and I quickly look back down, wishing I never looked up, hoping they won't notice me.

"Hi, welcome to Missy's. What can I get for you today?" The guy behind the counter says, all chirpy.

"Hey, can I get two scoops of black cherry and one scoop of chocolate dream please," he says and I continue to look down at my phone, pretending I'm reading something interesting while I try to cover my face with my hand.

"Sure thing."

"Don't look this way, don't look this way. Please stay away from me," I beg and plead in my head,
hoping he'll take his ice cream and leave.

"Here you go, $6.50."

"Thanks, keep the change," I hear him say, his deep voice echoing in the shop. I listen carefully, still fully engrossed in my phone, but I'm waiting to hear the bell above the door to ding, signalling he's left.

"Anyone sitting here?" A voice says and my head snaps up, our eyes connecting, but I don't say a word. He doesn't wait for me to answer and sits down anyway, sliding into the booth and sitting opposite me with a smile. That damn smile.

Chris Mitchell.

"I'm waiting for someone."

"Well, I'll wait with you till they get here," he smiles again.

His chocolate eyes twinkle and my stomach somersault's with butterflies. I've never told anyone, but I've always had a little crush on him since I moved here. I'm not majorly in love with him or anything, he's just the only guy in school I have ever found attractive. He's got that all American boy look about him. Amazing smile, chocolate brown eyes that would make your heart melt, floppy brown hair that you want to run your finger through, a lean body from competing in swimming and not too mention his velvety smooth voice. All the other boys in school look like they rolled out of bed every morning, with no effort whatsoever, yet Chris always looks like he rolled out of a magazine. Chris is in a different league to me and in no way would ever ask me out. Plus all his friends torment the hell out of me, especially his girlfriend Natalie. The one responsible for my current bruised eye. But yet, he's sitting here with me.