In the beginning.

"Raine I swear to god if you don't get the fuck up right now I'll tell Snape that you mixed wolfs bane in your drink last night". I threw a pillow at her from across the dorm room. It was the first Monday morning of another lively school year- year six, to be exact and we were, well, Rain, was going to be late. I pulled my green robes over my shoulders as she rolled out of bed.
"I hate you". She said allowed, slipping on her sweater and trying to wipe the most awful hangover out of her eyes.
"Well it's not my fault you decided to go hard the night before school starts. You smoked so many mugworms last night I thought you weee going to overdose! And it's not even possible to overdose on!" I said fixing my hair.

The slytherin common room had been our home for the last six years, and even though it looked the same every year, the energy has changed. People used to be in good spirits, but at the end of last year everything went to shit. There was... an uprising. Pure bloods started disappearing, and not just those in slytherin.

After the fall of Voldemort, being a pure blood, or more specifically having someone in your family who was associated with the dark lord makes you vulnerable. Archie Atkins was found suffering from the cruciatus curse in a corridor on the third floor. He barely made it to St. Mungos. Another girl, Matilda Hopkins, wasnt as lucky.

"Okay Genevieve I'm ready". Said Raine. I nodded and we made our way out of the common room.

Breakfast in the dining hall was a short walk away, but the climb from the dungeons to toast every morning never got easier.
"Would it kill them to install an escalator?" Raine said lamely.
"Well I quite like the stairs, I'll be able to get in shape for quidditch season". I replied. We entered the great hall to see students bustling through the tables.
"Uh oh". I said spotting the Fland sisters- Bella and Amelia walking over. Their father is vice admiral to the minister of magic, practically bought their way in to Ravenclaw, a house they definitely shouldn't be in.
"Well look what the cat dragged in". Spat Bella.
"If it dragged us in then it shat you out". Said Raine.
"You're one to talk after the time you had last night," said Amelia. "At least we don't mix illegal substances into our drinks".
"Well you quite look like you do". I replied.
The pair scoffed, walking away.
"C'mon I'm starving". I said pulling Raine to the toast.
"I hate them". She said sitting down next to me.
"The feeling is mutual". I replied.
"Attention students!" Headmaster McGonagall stood at the top of the great hall with the other professors. "Welcome to another great year at Hogwarts, I am so pleased to have all of you back for what I am sure will be a most wonderful year. As you know, the attacks on pure bloods have gotten nothing short of worse over the summer which is why all students are encouraged to travel in pairs in the halls". I glanced at Raine for confirmation and she gave me a small smile. "No student shall be found walking alone. Care for Magical Creatures and Quidditch will continue outside, but all practices will be supervised by at least two extra professors. I look forward to having a great, safe, year". She smiled nervously and sat down. A slow round of applause followed.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

The first class after breakfast was Defense Against the Dark Arts with Umbridge. They rehired her a few years after the war. She doesn't have as much power as she used to, but that definitely doesn't mean she isn't any less awful. With the attacks increasing day by day, security has gotten tighter at the castle, and that partly means bringing in people of higher power.. especially now that we don't have Dumbledore. McGonagall is doing her best, though I can't help but wonder how she sleeps some nights.
Raine and I sat down somewhere in the middle of the classroom. It took her a lot of convincing to get her to sit anywhere but the back, but I managed to sway her social fears in the end. I looked over to see Tom, the gryffindor quidditch team seeker laughing loudly with his friends. I rolled my eyes. I hate gryffindors, they're so annoying. They think they're so cool just because they beat us last year for the quidditch cup.
"Fancy seeing you here, Raine". Amelia Fland sat down across from her.
"Oh great". Raine replied. "Have you come to make my life miserable?"
"No, I just wanted to offer my sympathy, how's your mom doing again? Is she unwell?" Amelia pouted.
"Shut up".
"What's the matter Raine? I just can't help but think how upset your mother must be to have a daughter like.."
"Don't talk to her like that". Amelia was cut off by a new voice coming from the other side of the room. I turned to see Draco sitting two seats behind us.
"Excuse me?" Amelia said.
"I said don't talk to her like that". Draco stated.
"Oh? And what are you gonna do to stop me?"
"Keep talking and you'll find out". He replied surely. I looked over at Raine who was in shock.

"Good morning students". Unbridge walked to the front of the class as a hush fell over the crowd. Here we go.

Halfway through the lesson on Goblin lifestyle. I glanced down at my desk, eyes wondering. I noticed a small note sticking out of the vacant desk next to me. I looked around to try and figure out who it could belong to but nobody was sitting near it. I quickly reached over and snatched it from the desk, slipping it into my robes.

The class ended and I started to put my things away. "I should say thank you". Raine said pushing her book into her satchel.
"That was nice of him.. and pretty unexpected". Draco is pretty quiet nowadays. His family is going through hell with the ministry, especially his father, who is serving time in Azkaban for unruly betrayal. Last I heard, he was living in a small garden cottage with his mother. We rushed to the door to find Draco.
"Draco I..". But she was cut off.
"Don't". He said not even turning to look at her before walking away.
"Well... I guess maybe he heard me". Said Raine.
"Lets go," I said grabbing her hand. "I have something to show you".