09 | strange people

When I arrive at the cafeteria, I opt for a Japanese bento with grilled salmon

When I arrive at the cafeteria, I opt for a Japanese bento with grilled salmon. One of the things I love about this school is that they always have a different menu of all kinds of cuisines around the world every day, and they have the best chefs for it, because the food tastes like a signature dish in a five-star hotel. It tastes even better when you're fucking hungry.

Carrying my food tray, I head toward the table filled with my new football teammates. To say that I'm thrilled being on this team is an understatement.

I've never played in a real American football team before, since I'd been living in Australia for years. Dad and Uncle Jake definitely keep my passion undying -- they love the game as much as I do even though they don't play anymore.

I take a seat in front of my captain, Tyler Gates.

"You haven't seen anything from Coach Williams." He watches me eating with a smirk on his face, leaning back against his chair.

"Spill it."

"Wait until we play against last year's champion," Tyler says, cracking his knuckles. "You haven't even seen him bark. You'll see him roar soon."

I laugh, but Tyler only shakes his head in amusement. One of our teammates yells, "He's saying the truth, Max!"

"Punctuality," Tyler warns. "Break it, and the whole team will be punished. We thought he was crazy when he asked us to jump into freezing water during winter."

"Got it." A smirk creeps on my lips. I think I can handle it -- my coach in Australia is no different. "Thanks for the heads up."

The guy on my left grabs my shoulder, giving it a firm shake. "Don't worry, dude. It will be worth it."

A deep chuckle leaves my mouth, and just when I shift my attention back to my plate, I hear something drop to the ground beside me.

I freeze as I see Luna fall onto the floor, her tray crashing to the ground, the loud clattering sound catching people's attention. Her food -- her small amount of pasta, salad and fruits -- is ruined, scattered.

Her hand is shaking when she tries to clean the mess around her.

Did she just trip herself?

When I'm about to stand up to help her, I feel a firm grip on my left arm. I turn my head, only to find that the guy sitting beside me is holding me back, shooting me a warning look.

I shift my attention back to Luna, who has just tripped right next to me and Tyler, and when my eyes dart on Tyler, I see something I don't like.

He rolls his eyes.

Whispers echo around us, but nobody helps. Some students pass by, stepping carefully so that they won't land their shoes on the mess she has just created.

I freeze on the spot, watching these strange things happening around me -- I've never felt so stupid. Before I know it, Luna has already stood up with her tray. And just like that, she walks off.