4

I look down at the child in my arms as I lower them onto the couch in my living room.

My eyes focusing once again on the bruise on their eye. My Thoughts all came back to me at once. Where did they get it? Is it from home? A fight? Why are they here? What is in the backpack? We're they running away?

I started breathing heavily. The stress of what do in this sort of situation getting to me. I have always loved children and this ones well-being seems to be a particular concern of mine.

A tear slid down me cheek, why? I don't even know who this is, for all I know they could be absolutely fine.

My curiosity got to me as I started to gently try and take the backpack off of them. When they stirred I quickly let go and decided to just leave it in order to make sure she didn't freak out when they woke up. I went to get a blanket and when I came back I saw them shaking slightly, I didn't think too much of it as I tucked her in, a motherly instinct kicking in. I went to see if there was any food they might want when they woke up or any thing else that may be comforting.

That was before I heard some muffled words coming from the couch.

"No, no I didn't mean to!"

"I swear!"

They said, their voice in a dreamy state but the fear still coming through in their tone. Okay, now I'm worried. I should go and wake them up straight away, save them from the pain of whatever nightmare is in their head right now. But I needed to know if they were okay, and I needed to know more about them so I know how to help. What is just a nightmare? Or was this a memory? A recent one?

"AHHHH"

Waiting before waking them up was a bad idea.

A very bad idea.

I run to the couch and kneel beside it.

"Hey, hey, wake up" was the first way I tried.

When that didn't work I shook her gently and tried again

"heyy, hey everything is okay, wake up"
She began to stir and I saw her eyes slowly open.