Chapter 154

The next day had been strange.

Jonathan had refused to speak to anyone save for Clary and Serena.

They understood why he wanted Clary but what confused them is why he wanted to talk to Serena.

Jace was especially hesitant to let go of the two people he loved most in the world, but Serena didn't really give him a choice and she promised to take care of Clary. And both Alec and Jace would be standing right outside, watching the entire thing in case anything should happen.

Serena walked in with Clary, hand in hand, the blonde staring into Jonathan's eyes as she removed the mask from his face, and not gently either.

"So, you like to play rough?" he said with a smirk.

"You'll never find out," Serena spat before moving back to take Clary's hand, the redhead extremely glad that she wasn't alone in here.

Jonathan seemed jealous of the contact.

"She's not your sister," he growled. "She's mine."

"You don't have to be blood to be family. And Clary may not be related to me by blood but she is my sister in every way," Serena responded and Clary's grip on her hand tightened.

"Where is the Morningstar Sword?" she asked, and Jonathan began to smile at her voice.

"I missed you too."

"Where is the sword? You know it's capable of opening a rift to Edom. Is that why you want it? To release demons?" Clary continued.

"It's a Morgenstern family heirloom. It belongs in the hands of its rightful owners. You and me, Clary."

Clary said nothing before Jonathan's eyes flicked to Jace beyond the glass.

"Your boyfriend is keeping an awfully close eye on you. I mean, even Serena's husband isn't that overbearing. Do you think he feels guilty about leaving you alone at the ice rink?" Jonathan asked and Jace scowled at him from where he stood.

"We're not here to chat, Jonathan," Serena said. "So, if you're not going to answer any of our questions, we're done here."

She and Clary began to walk from the room.

"Wait," Jonathan's deep voice called, and the girls turned.

"I'll tell you everything you want to know, if you'll just, stay here a little longer."

"I'm listening," Clary said.

"Why do you want me here?" Serena finally asked. "I mean it's a given why you want Clary but why do you want me?"

Jonathan's stare was piercing as he looked at her in intrigue.

"Call it curiosity, wanting to scope out the competition, Valentine's other experiment. And I've always admired you, Serena. You and your power to change the Clave by protecting the Downworld. Why a Shadowhunter, a Herondale Shadowhunter no less, would want to protect those creatures is beyond me."

Serena took two threatening steps towards him, but Clary held her back.

"Talk, Jonathan," the redhead ordered, and the eldest Morgenstern lifted his gaze to Clary.

"I didn't even know you existed until not so long ago. I'd been in Edom for what felt like an eternity, when the Manibus demon who you first banished with your sunlight rune appeared in Lilith's throne room. And she finally told me about you, but only so I could protect myself against you, but I knew you were different. That was the first time I ever heard your name. Clarissa Morgenstern. It was like music to my ears. I felt something I had never felt before. Hope."

"This has nothing to do with the Sword," Serena interrupted seeing Clary's discomfort.

"Of course, it does," Jonathan breathed. "That moment changed everything for me. I realized that you were the only person that I needed. I felt it. Finally, I had someone to fight by my side. Not against me, not in spite of me, but with me. Everything I do, I do for you. I want the Morningstar Sword for you. For us."

Serena's grip tightened on Clary and the girl loosed a breath but Jonathan turned to her.
"Serena, as much as I enjoy your presence, might I have a moment alone with my sister?"

"Not happening."

"Then I'm not talking."

Serena turned to Clary.

"I'll be ok. He's right outside," Clary promised, pointing at Jace.

Serena hugged her before pressing a kiss to her hair.

"Touch my sister, and I'll rip your head from your shoulders," she threatened before begrudgingly leaving Clary and Jonathan alone. But not before giving Alec a nice, long kiss in front of the glass where Jonathan could see, before they strode out hand-in-hand. 

She hadn't forgotten the little kissing stunt he pulled and her kiss with Alec was a way to rub in the fact that he would never be able to touch, much less kiss, her again.

That and she also really enjoyed kissing Alec.