Chapter 5

"We have a visual of the target's location" Greer mutters into the comms over to Hayward whom I presume is waiting impatiently on the other side. "OK everyone, this is go time. Remember, they want her alive and we need to get those fucking shackles on, that's our number one priority. I don't give a shit if you break her arm if you have to, just get the shackles on."

Greer's voice emanating clearly from my earpiece as if he's whispering into my ear. I really dislike Greer more and more, but I do understand the want to not be strangled by some mumbo jumbo. I'd rather break the suspect's arm any day over that. I don't dislike enhanced individuals, but oh boy would I prefer it if they didn't exist. Would make our job a hell of a lot easier.

I'm awakened from my thoughts by the tall lanky agent touching my elbow, silently telling me to get into position. I unholster the glock I keep on my back, not taking the safety off just yet. I look around me and see all of the men looking stoic and getting their gear ready to go. A sudden calm has descended upon the group. I look out onto the lake and take a steadying breath. This is what I'm good at. I tell myself there's a reason I have been selected for this mission. I've done hundreds of missions extricating hostages, and this is technically no different, I lie to myself. I have a bad feeling about this whole thing.

"I want myself, Jackson, Graham, and you-" Greer points at me. "to go in the front. Farringdon, Kelley, Lourde, and other FBI guy, you circle around back."

We rearrange ourselves into smaller groups with no further talking. I make eye contact with the tall and lanky agent, silently reassuring each other. I cast a look at the small cabin, but there seems to be no movement; it's as still as ever, and I'm almost doubting Maximoff is in there. It all looks so insignificant with the huge mountain towering over us.

"Lourde, you take the lead. I want the back secured, she's not getting out under any means, ok? We don't have a chance if we let her out in the open, the element of surprise is all we got. Once the back is secured, FBI and Lourde stay back and the other join us and we get these shackles on, copy?"

"Copy." Everyone mumble, afraid to break the eery silence of the valley.

"OK. Move out." Greer says and the group moves as one along the edge of the tree line towards the cabin.

The moon makes an occasional reappearance, lighting the valley up in a misty glow, but we keep out of sight, staying under the covers of trees I gather must be hundreds of years old. I feel a shiver run up my back, the hairs standing up on the back of my neck. We are unwelcome here.

Soon, we have reached the side of the cabin. It's very small, there can't be more than two or three rooms in there.

Greer gives us the go sign, and we half run-half walk-half squat towards the side of the cabin. The ground seems frozen beneath my boots, the frozen grass breaking under my weight. There is a small window on the side of the cabin with curtains drawn. It looks dark inside. I remind myself to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth in a bid to calm my racing nerves. The closer we get the less confident I feel about this whole plan. She's asleep, I tell myself. She's asleep and we'll get her easily.

We part around the cabin like water parting around a rock in a stream. I follow along up onto a dark porch, thankful for my night vision goggles; without them we'd be blind as bats. There is an old rocking chair on one side of the porch, and a little workbench on the other side with an empty mug placed on top. Otherwise, the cabin could just as well have been abandoned.

Greer shuffles for a short amount of time, and the door suddenly swings open with an ominous creak. Greer walks in first, followed by two other agents, and I form the rear. Well inside, the air is warm, and it smells faintly of smoke and pine. There is a small round table in the middle of the cabin, a small, tidy kitchen and I get a sudden rush of memories that take me back to childhood summers spent at my grandparents' cabin up in Montana. I don't have time to study anything else in more detail before Greer's voice sounds through my earpiece.