Chapter 37: Complaints

Heloix holds out his hand to help me down from the barstool, fingers waggling as he waits for me to grab it. I hesitate on it for a moment before accepting his help and grabbing ahold of his hand, his fingers swallowing mine as I slide down onto the floor.

We haven't spoken much since he rejected my advances, my ego being much too bruised to hold any sort of conversation with him. A part of me is grateful he didn't take me up on my offer, but another part feels offended that he didn't.

Despite the anger and the overwhelming betrayal I feel, I can't seem to stop myself from wanting him.

"What are you and your human going to do today?" Heloix asks, picking up my plate and setting it in the sink.

I hold back a sigh at his word choice.

"His name is John, and he isn't mine. He's his own person." I retort. "And he's busy all day, so I'm going to hang out here by myself."

Heloix hums quietly, dishes clanking as he sets his plate in the sink alongside mine. He got up early today and made us some eggs and toast for breakfast, insisting that I eat before going about my day. The thought of him doing something so kind for me has my cheeks heating up.

I shake my head to rid myself of the softness I feel for him. He owns hundreds of humans and is allowing his kind to hurt mine. I can't just give in to him because he does one nice thing for me.

"Do you want to come to work with me?" He asks, turning slightly to peek at me out of the corner of his eye.

My eyebrow furrows at his question, surprised by the offer. Other than the short period of time when we shared an office, he has never offered me to join him while he works.

"Well?" Heloix urges, turning completely to face me. "My people are coming into the castle today to share their grievances. It doesn't happen very often but I think you'd like it. It's full of drama."

I try to hide my interest in his words. I do long drama, and it could be helpful to know if there are any complaints around the new human regulations Heloix has put into place. Meeting his gaze, I hold back a smile at his excited expression.

Shyly I nod. "Okay, I'll come."

Heloix claps his hands together at my answer, a large smile spreading over his face. His excitement to have me join brings heat to my face, my mind flattered by his interest.

"Let's get you in something nice." He murmurs, eyes trailing down my body.

I frown at his words, head dropping to look at myself. I'm not wearing one of my best dresses, but it's one that Heloix got me so I know it's in style. As I inspect myself, Heloix takes the opportunity to move past me towards my bedroom, earning a quiet sigh from me as I follow after him.

He doesn't hesitate to push open my door and head inside, immediately walking over to my closet. I lean against the doorframe as I watch him, my gaze following his long fingers as he brushes them against all my dresses.

I know what those fingers feel like inside of me. He coughs as I think this, his head tilting to the side as he exaggeratedly sniffs the air. Crossing my legs over one another, I turn my head to the side and avoid his gaze. He chuckles but says nothing about my arousal as he focuses back on my closet and pulls out a dress.

I recognize it immediately to be the red one that I tried on for Heloix before, and the sight of it brings up several memories that make my cheeks heat up.

"Yes, this one!" Heloix mutters to himself, eyes darting between me and the dress. "You need a bra for it."

Without warning, he turns and walks over to my dresser, his intention to look for a bra clear. Panic rises within me at his actions, and I dart to move in front of the dresser, wanting to stop his efforts before he can go searching around in them.