68.

'Damien,' Amara wrung her fingers nervously. 'How can I possibly do this!' She cried. 'A war!' She sat down at the edge of his bed, 'War!' She buried her head in her hands, 'so many lives will depend on me! I don't think I can carry this burden!'

The prince, who was seated on the bed, patiently listened to her as she ranted.

'I can hardly do anything! What made them think that I'm prepared for this!'

'Amara,' he called out and stretched his hand toward her. She took his hand and looked at him. Her emerald eyes were anxious.

'Pull yourself together,' he whispered. 'You know why they chose you.'

She froze.

His words rang true. The Crown chose her because he was in no condition to stand on his own much less fight a war. If she refused to take the lead, he would have to take up the responsibility. 

The army needed to see their leader in prime form so that they could have confidence in themselves- only then they had a chance of victory. The Queen had told her that during her lessons.

'Do you?' He asked her.

She nodded.

'Good,' a ghost of a smile appeared on his lips. 'Now, there's no need to be so anxious. You're not alone,' he said. 'I might not be able to do good in battle-'

'I will not let you look at the face of the battlefield in your present condition,' she spoke with determination. The fire in her had returned. 

'I don't intend to,' He chuckled at her words. 'But I will help you plan.'

She smiled. 'That's a relief.'

'But my weakness is not the only reason,' he spoke, seriously. 'Amara, what you did for me will never be known to our people,' he explained.

'I know that,' she replied. If their subject learnt what she had done, then it would disclose the Crown Prince's abduction- causing chaos. That was hardly a good thing. 

'But they will want to know how capable their future Queen is. My parents gave you this task because they want our subjects to trust you.'

There were too many things he had revealed at once.

'They trust my mother because she was the one who governed the Kingdom when my father was holding the Demon army at bay. They trust me because I slew the Demon Prince. Finish this and they will trust you as well.'

Her heart paced at his words. Queen. Amara had never thought of that but if they intended to get married then it would mean...

'I'm going to be the Queen?' She asked disbelief was apparent in her tone.

He furrowed his brow, 'Do you want competition? I'll have no problem finding one for you. I'm certain some pretty ladies would love to tend to me in my feeble condition. Though that would be very awkward since my affections will be scattered everywhere.'

She shot him a glare and he laughed, 'Of course, you'll always be my favourite.'

'Quit jesting, Damien,' she smiled despite herself. 

She had missed his enchanting laugh. 'There will be no competition. I won't allow it.'

His sapphire eyes gleamed at her.

She rose to her feet. Still holding onto his hand, she said, 'What do I have to do?'

'Today, when you meet with the War Council, you must listen to the members with rapt attention.'

'Is that all?' She scrunched her nose in confusion and sat beside him. 'Shouldn't I prepare a plan and take it with me? What if there's a lot of unrest? I could placate them with a plan.'

He smiled. 'That line of thought is appreciated, Amara. But the members of the council are proud people and if you present a plan without consulting them they might take offence.'

Those words made her headache. Why?

As if reading her thoughts, he explained, 'They will be looking forward to winning your approval by guiding you.'

It sounded ridiculous. 'My approval?'

He chuckled. 'Of course, you're the future Queen. They would want you on their side.'

During her lessons, Queen Revanna had said something similar.

'Moreover,' he continued, 'you don't have to burden yourself by coming up with a plan all by yourself. Let them think of different strategies and present them to you. Use them to find the one that seems appropriate to you.'

'Appropriate to me?' She repeated incredulously. 'I have no experience-'

He interrupted her. 'The same could be said for your act in the Demon Castle.'

'I had help.'

'You have helped here too. Trust me, not one of the members want blood on their hands-' He paused, 'except maybe the Duke of Tracovia.'

Despite herself, she sniggered. 'I must be wary of him?'

'Yes.'

She sighed. 'Alright. I'll let them think for me. But what after that?'

He brought her hand to his lips and brushed her knuckles, 'That excitement is golden, dear. But let's take one step at a time, shall we?'

Her heart somersaulted as her cheeks tinted red. 'O-of course.'