~Chapter 30~

The moment I had reached Skye's place, I had to undergo a few security check-ups. In the end, I had to look up in the CCTV camera, lodged just outside the main door of his huge house. As soon as my face was registered, I heard a cackling exclamation from the speaker next to it. "You're Skye's pretty girlfriend, aren't you?! I saw it on the TV!" I detected the Spanish accent in an unfamiliar female voice.

I blushed when I heard those words and saw the huge double doors opening before my eyes. A second or two later, there was a short and stout, old woman standing in front of me with a blinding smile. "Come in. Come in," she said, urging me to move forward.

Walking in, I was instantly pulled in by how beautiful the house was from the inside, surpassing all my expectations. I was standing in the foyer with my jaw slackened. "Wow!" I breathed. From my angle, I couldn't see much but the walls were painted in a pleasant peach color. Some old and expensive paintings were hung up on the walls where I was standing.

In fact, I was trying not to put a lot of my weight on the floor with the way I was almost standing on my toes. The tiles were immaculately clean. "I am Sophia, the housekeeper of this place," the woman chirped.

Her jubilance for everything instantly brought a smile to my face. "Hey, Sophia. I'm Va-"

"I know, I know! Skye couldn't stop-" She stopped herself short and cupped her mouth with wide eyes. Truth be said, she looked comically cute. "I mean, I know," she uttered, this time more sheepishly.

"Oh. Yeah…" I cleared my throat awkwardly. "Did Skye… come home?" I asked her, tucking my curls behind my ear.

"Come home?" She looked genuinely confused now. "He's been home the whole day." She giggled.

I bit the inside of my lips and stared at her with furrowed brows. "What do you mean? Ivan said that…'' I trailed off when realization hit me. He literally fooled me and his plan was to bring me here all along. That jerk, I thought. I wondered if Skye knew about this too.

"What's wrong, darling?" Sophia asked, jumping on her feet to gauge my expression.

"Oh, no nothing. Um… so…" I cleared my throat again to hide my flushed cheeks. "Is he in his room now?" I know that I should have taken a U-turn and left him alone since he's not drunk but I wanted to see him. I was ready to take anything I could get.

"Ah, he's in his tree house," she answered, shoving her hands in the pockets of her apron.

"Do you think I can see him?" I questioned, pursing my lips to not show my nervousness. I just hoped that she wouldn't decline my request but by the looks of it, she seemed reluctant and blinked her eyes worriedly.

"Aye, he doesn't let anybody in there. He mans it like a knight. I am sorry but…" She gave me an apologetic look.

Hearing her reply, I almost slumped but then something clicked in my head. "Well, I've been there once. So, I don't think he'd mind this time as well," I told her assuringly. Who am I kidding? He didn't mind because he was drunk that night.

Sophia gasped audibly like she couldn't believe her ears. The sight was pretty hilarious because she literally staggered a few steps back. "You were?" She asked for confirmation.

I nodded my head amusedly while pursuing my lips to hide the upcoming smile and it took her a minute or two to finally regain her composure.

"Okay… okay… I'll take you then. Come on!" She exclaimed chirpily before grinning widely.

My eyes widened because not only was I shocked to know that it was easy to convince her as she agreed with me but also because of the quick change in her countenance. "Thank you," I said but I might as well be talking to myself. She didn't hear it with the way she was hurrying on and speaking something in Spanish.