XXXVI

the king stood beside us, his arms crossed over his form, a coy smile on his face.

dream followed behind george a few feet away, his arms rigid by his side with his fists balled up, his knuckles turning white. the masked mans mouth was pressed into a hard line, as he watched us.

punz slowly retracted his hold on me, his eyes darting from the king to me.

"of course, theyre all yours." he shot me a quick apologetic look and walked off, through one of the side doors.

the silver crown wearing male took his place, resting a ringed hand on my waist. he picked up my other hand, squeezing it tight.

i turned my head to look at dream, a look of uneasiness evident on my features. the masked man acknowledged this, exhaling breathily and leaving out the side doors.

pushing down the feeling of forsakenness, my eyes scanned the room once more as the music picked up, landing on wilbur and phil who seemed to perturbed about the situation i was in.

georges hold on my waist tightened as we moved, causing me to wince under my breath.

"whats the matter, love? you seem rather distracted."

i let out a breath, facing george whos eyes were locked onto me.

"are you enjoying the ball?" he asked, his navy blue cloak dragging along the floor as we spun.

"yes sir."

"oh now, y/n. no need for the formalities."

"ah, my apologies." i attempted to look back in the direction wilbur and philza were in but george made a sharp turn, causing me to face him yet again.

"you know-" he began, readjusting his vice grip on my hand.

"you feel so familiar to me, i just cant quite place it. are you sure we havent met before?" george mused as we danced, the next quick swivel we made caused a lock of his brown hair to fall onto his face.

"i seem to get that a lot. i assure you, this is the first time ive ever met you, your highness." i mumbled to him, averting his fixed look.

"i think its your smile. it reminds me of somebody i used to know." he hummed to himself.

an uncomfortable silence settled between us, the music and distant talking filling the void that was our conversation. soon the music changed, a slower song beginning.

george ran his tongue over his teeth, clicking it lightly.

"philza says your parents are farmers, why dont you live with them?" he asked breaking the silence between us.

a wave of worry washed over my body, i had not yet spoken to phil about the lies he told george- i was ill prepared to continue the false story about my past.

"i uh- well-"

"your highness- pardon the intrusion but this is our song, i wish to dance with them if thats alright." wilbur cut me off, gesturing to me.

georges eyes narrowed ever so slightly before he gave his answer.

"well of course, ill see you soon y/n." george said in a monotone voice as he dropped his hold on me, stepping back and walking away.

his fur lined cloak trailed behind him as he left through the side exit.

wilbur swiftly took his place, his large arms wrapping me close in a protective manor.

i sighed a breath of relief, resting my forehead against the tall brunettes chest.

wilbur rested his chin on top of my head as he swayed us side to side.

i chuckled lightly.

"i thought you didnt dance."

a/n- second update in a row? aye. anyways im excited to write the next few chapters 👀 vote n comment <33