12 Sit

*(p.s. this is a long chapter, if there are parts you think should be taken out/condensed, let me know)*

Chapter 12

***

A softly draped, cotton white button down. Silky smooth, chocolate brown cascades of curls. An invigorated, euphoric radiation of unleashed, feminine power.

Lucas was right, I am more confident with my hair down.

When I enter the conference room of testosterone and cologne, I don't have to clear my throat for attention. Even Lucas, drawn in a conversation, follows every gaze and stills when finding mine.

~

An hour later, established executives who've never spoken to me before, actually approach and gift me with compliments. I'm on cloud nine on my way to my office, to grab my purse and head out for the day, when Grant and Lucas follow in.

"What a transformation!" Grant announces with a grin. "Seems like yesterday really helped, huh? Maybe you guys should tackle all your projects as a pair from now on."

"Not possible." Lucas interjects. Though his tone is light, there's tension in the lines of his mouth. "Layla and I are experts in completely different areas. I can't do her job, just like she can't do mine."

I scoff with a smile. "Speak for yourself. I can do your job just fine. I just choose not to."

"I think it would still do you two good to exchange each other's knowledge, I'd like to see that happen." He raises an eyebrow at Lucas, and I don't know if it's in my imagination, but there's almost a forceful pressure that lingers too long.

"Yeah. Sure." Lucas agrees with dismissive impassion, walking towards the window.

When Grant leaves, I want to ask Lucas about their questionable exchange, but the vibration in his pocket interrupts my efforts. He looks at his phone with a stony expression, then shows me the caller ID before putting Casey on speaker.

"Hey, Casey. What's up?" He brings a finger to his lips to tell me to be quiet.

"Hey, so about tonight..." My friend drawls, before falling into a violent coughing fit. "I think I'm getting really sick...so we might need to push it."

Lucas sighs, but I shoot him a warning glare. He clicks his jaw before answering. "I'm sorry you're not feeling well. When can you meet?"

"Oh, um... well, it's Layla's birthday in two days. I'll be busy preparing since it's at my place, but maybe we can talk when you come that night."

Oh crap. Lucas is invited to my birthday?! Moments from New York that invade my mind even when I fight them, flicker with stubborn persistence, cloaking me with guilt and anxiety. Nothing's happened, yet nothing's the same.

"Are you sure you can't meet tomorrow, even for a few minutes?" He asks.

"I wish I could, but I'll be running errands all day." She coughs, sounding brutally ill. "Sorry, but it's hard to talk. I'll text you the details later, ok?"

When Lucas hangs up with a pissed off head shake, I'm about to argue the logic behind being angry for something out of Casey's control, but now it's my turn to answer a call.

I scowl and show it to Lucas. He motions for me to put her on speaker. Normally I wouldn't, but the suspiciousness of the situation pulls me and I oblige. "Hey Casey, what's up?"

"Oh my God, girl! I just lied to Lucas that I'm sick so I could get out of seeing him!" She giggles.

My jaw slacks and I stare wide-eyed at Lucas, who's glaring at my phone. I blink, struggling to remain neutral. "W-why would you do that?"