ten - Remmington

The aftermath was a mix of different sensations for Selena. One, she had learned that Kayla Marie was bent on not getting herself hurt and not ending alone. Selena thought she was going insane but when she kept thinking about it, Katie was only trying to protect herself no matter the means.

She understood that a heart can be vicious. That it can control the flow of thoughts inside the mind. Selena imagined how much pain it brought Katie when she lost her brother to such a sad fate. If it made Katie fear for love, maybe it was more grievous than she thought.

Selena gazed towards the moon and sighed, struggling to get Katie’s current state out of her mind.

After she found Jacob in the hospital corridor, they left while Nathaniel and Kayla Marie opted to stay the night.

Though she tried her hardest not to think of Nathaniel, she was drawn back to him. The gloomy night sky reminded her of him and his dark beastly gaze.

“What’s wrong? Thinking of that man again?” Jacob stalked towards her.

He still wasn’t too pleased about what happened with Katie and when they arrived back at the packhouse, he still wore a scowl.

Selena shrugged. “Maybe, maybe not. I’ve been thinking about a lot of things.”

“Yeah, you’ve been wearing that constipated look ever since we came back.”

She chuckled. “When you’re bombarded with this many thoughts you’re bound to think of something crappy.”

“I hope you’re not thinking of ending things.” He grimaced.

“For the last time, Jacob. That’s not what’s in my head.”

Jacob turned silent. He was starting to make her worry, causing her to crease her forehead.

“Is this about your friend…The one who ended himself?”

He nods, gently looking into her eyes.

“That friend was Katie’s older sibling, Lukas. For a week, he locked himself in his room and never to spoke to anyone. They said he died because of hunger but I think he died because his heart was crushed. He died of a broken heart.”

“Oh,” Selena gulped. “Were you and Lukas close?”

“He and I were brothers, actually. Since dad always took Nathaniel away for training, I spent time with Lukas. He was a good person. The guy even died a virgin, you know? He was a hopeless romantic thinking he should save himself for his mate.”

The bright glow of happiness in Jacob’s smile caught her by surprise.

“Hopeless romantic? Just recently, someone said to me that love is fickle.”

That someone is, Katie. Selena thought that there was a truth to those words. Someone like Eliza proved that. She loved her husband but when her mate appeared, she immediately fell for the other man.

He cocks his head, bearing an incredulous stare. “Well, feelings are fickle. So are people’s minds, but love? I don’t think so. Love always finds a way to seep somewhere in your heart. That’s what Lukas said to me once.”

“That’s rich coming from a guy that’s notorious for dating a lot of women…even the daughters of Alphas.” She smiled at him.

He chuckled nervously.

“Maybe you’re right. Love is fickle, that’s why most people don’t win at love the first time. But if love is fickle then why does it hurt to leave someone or have someone leave you? Love will be the only constant thing in your life.”