36.

River was in complete astonishment. After they had sat for a few minutes, both looking down at the tiny baby against Azzalea's bare chest, River looked to the glob of flesh that had followed his son.

The cord that attached his son to the glob had changed colors. River had remembered seeing the animals that fed from their mothers have similar looking things. He stood up and went for the sharpest knife. He looked at his son's face before slicing him free.

The baby didn't stir. He laid against his mother's breast, his nose nestled against her skin, and relaxed by her scent.

"I also find comfort in your mother's breasts." River chuckled.

Azzalea looked up to him with a smile. "After all that, you are still flirty? You don't think I'm gross?"

River shook his head and leaned close to her. "You are a beautiful fierce warrior." He kissed her lips. "Thank you for being my mate. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for blessing me with a son."

 He watched Azzalea tear up.

"Do not cry my Fawn." He cupped the back of her head. "I only mean the best."

"I know." She nodded, "That's why I love you so much."

River looked at the blood around them. 

"We need to get you to bed." He murmured and before Azzalea could protest, he plucked her and his son from the floor and carried her back to their bed.

Azzalea sighed as she felt the soft fur against her backside. She looked down to her son, who rooted against her breast. "Are you hungry?" She cooed to the little tan male. instinct took hold of her and she adjusted her breast.

She put the tip of her nipple to his nose and the baby took it from there. Azzalea had always thought she would think it felt weird to have something feeding off of her, but it didn't. It felt like it was right and natural.

She felt female.

Azzalea turned her eyes up to River. He was looking at them. His eyes were soft and happy. She then looked at his chest in shock. "River, you are covered in blood."

The dark tan giant was covered from his chest to his feet with deep red blood.

River looked to himself. "It's ok." He assured her. "I will clean it all up."

Azzalea looked down to the puddle forming at her bottom. "I need something. I need to catch this blood. I need panties and a tampon."

River had no idea what she was talking about when she spoke of a tampon, but he found a pair of her old underwear she had worn when they first met. He lined the tiny bits of fabric with the most absorbent stuff he could find. He filled a bowl full of warm water, some cloth, furs, and a towel.

Azzalea looked at his full arms as he returned. "You brought the whole cave?" She giggled as he sat the stuff down around their nest. "I love you River."

He smiled at her. "I love you." He said. "Let me see our son."

Azzalea reluctantly handed the infant to her mate. She watched as he wrapped the baby in a cloth diaper they had been given by Briar and swaddled him in a fur blanket.

River made a deep purring like noise in his chest. "There, sweet Creek. Lay in your bed for a while as I tent to Mother."

"Creek?" Azzalea asked him.

River turned back towards her. "It just came to me. Do you want to name him something else?"

She shook her head. "No, I love it."