NINETEEN

At first you feel like you can fight through everything life throws at you

Then it gets harder and you start blaming the people around you for not making it any better.

It gets worse and you realize that the universe might be against or maybe you're cursed and you wonder why.

From there you hit rock bottom and you just give up. You suddenly want everything to stop. It's now difficult to see the bright. Then it becomes impossible and that's when you decide to end it all.

Staying alive wasn't the problem. Finding a reason to keep going was the bigger issue.

◈ ━━━━━━━ ⸙ - ⸙ ━━━━━━━ ◈

Adam Somoye had never been like other boys and that was mostly the reason why he hardly spoke or looked happy. When he spoke, he was tagged feminine, when he did the things that made him happy, he would piss off every manly man within radius. So he learned to keep to himself and mind his business.

It was easier that way. He wouldn't have to put up with boys like Ahmed who still called him Eve. Adam hated that nickname and would do anything for Ahmed Yusuf to forget it but he'd brought it upon himself one Monday morning in primary five. He'd showed up to school that morning with his finger nails painted a bright red. Of course, he'd thought the nail polish looked good on his mom, ergo, it would be pretty on his fingers too. His classmates unfortunately did not partake in that thought. And people like Ahmed had made sure he never forgot that day. Even after five years.

Adam was fine and sort of happy when he was friends with Dele, Kasy and Zehan. He believed that somehow, Dele shielded them for a couple of years from the brutality of bullying and open humiliation because he was popular. No one cared about his flamboyant nature or Kasy's flat chest or even Zehan's lack of eyebrows back then. But as soon as everything with Ismael happened and Dele found a new clique, he and Kasy were thrown under the bus while Zehan disappeared.

The fact that Adam missed Zehan and was genuinely worried about him while Kasy was the sole reason he was gone made the friendship between them vanish. Kasy and Adam became strangers and Dele became unrecognizable. Adam learned to keep to himself until Zehan came back.

"Are you not ashamed of yourself? Basketball that other boys play effortlessly, you can't even do it," Mr. Somoye scolded. "You just enter the court and you wound yourself when you'll be doing like woman...are you not a man? Those boys there do they have anything you don't have?"

"Sam, you are seriously not helping matters! Kilode?" Mrs. Somoye turned away from Adam's wounded knee to snap at her husband. "Can't you see he's wounded?"