Check All The Boxes

A couple days after the twins' birthday, Steve is working on his latest illustration when he hears a knock at the door.

He goes downstairs and opens the door to find Bucky. Bucky doesn't normally knock so Steve wonders what is going on.

"Can I come in?" Bucky asks.

"Sure," Steve says.

The pair go to the living room and sit on the couch. Steve notices that Bucky keeps bouncing his leg and wiping his hands on his pants leg.

"What's going on, Buck?" Steve asks.

Bucky doesn't know why he's so nervous, it's just Steve. He knows that this is so important though.

"I'd like to ask for your blessing to take Lizzie out on a date," Bucky says.

"That's what this is about? You're stupid Buck if you'd think I'd say no after all you two have been through," Steve says.

"I know... but there was a small part of me that thought maybe I've screwed up too much. That maybe you'd of changed your mind," Bucky explains.

Steve gives Bucky a reassuring smile. He knows he needs to convince Bucky that he has his support.

"I love my sister and I love you. You two have been destroying each other the last year by fighting and being apart. When you're together though, everything is right. You two don't realize how much brighter a room gets when you two are in it together. Do you plan on hurting my sister?" Steve asks.

"It's the last thing I'd want. Now that I have her, I couldn't fathom leaving her. She's just... everything," Bucky says.

"Then we're square. You have my permission to
take my sister out even though it was already yours," Steve says.

Bucky can't help but be relieved. He doesn't know what he'd do if Steve was against it. It would tear him and Ellie apart if they had to go against Steve's wishes.

"Thank you Steve. I know you think it's stupid but it was important that I check all the boxes," Bucky says.

"As stupid as asking my permission for this was, I do appreciate it. My sister is everything to me and I'm glad you care enough to ask me to share her," Steve says.

Bucky briefly wonders if the conversation will go this smoothly when he asks Steve permission to marry Ellie. He'll have a much harder job convincing Ellie though.

Ellie did tell him he had to wait at least a year after they got together to propose. He wonders how many times he'll have to propose to get her to say yes.

"Thank you for being willing to share her... speaking of your sister, I should probably actually ask her on the date. Is she in her room?" Bucky asks.

"Yeah, you can head on up. Keep the door open please," Steve says.

"Why do I have to keep the door open? I've never had to in the past," Bucky says.

"Yeah, well, that was before you two were dating. My roof, my rules," Steve says.

"Technically, it's her roof too," Bucky jokes.

"You still want my permission to date my sister or not?" Steve says.

"Alright, door open," Bucky grumbles.

He walks up to Lizzie and Steve's room. Theoretically, one of the twins could have moved into Sarah's room. Bucky knew better to suggest it though, the twins have gone through enough change recently.

When the twins are sad or stressed, they usually cling to each other. There's not anything more sad or stressful than losing their mother at 16. Plus, he knows that neither of them could stand to even enter Sarah's room let alone sleep in it.

Bucky knocks on the door.

"Come in!" Lizzie yells.

He walks in and a huge smile fills her face. She stands up and walks over him to greet him with a kiss. But when she gets close, he holds her back by her shoulders so she can't.

She instantly feels the sting of rejection. Did he change his mind?

He can instantly see the sadness and hurt on her eyes.

"No, sweetie. I do want to kiss you but I want to do things right. The way I should've treated you from the start," Bucky explains.

"What do you mean?" Lizzie asks.

He's trying to do things right but he can't help but place his hands on her waist. She automatically wraps her arms around his neck.

She knows that he doesn't want to kiss her for a reason so she decides to let him explain his reasoning.

"I am so happy we are together but it's been anything but conventional. While I wouldn't change the way things played out exactly, I kind of want to do at least something traditional. If our courtship was normal, we wouldn't have kissed yet and I would've asked you out on a date first. I would take you out and amaze you with my charm and only then, if I was lucky, I would get to kiss you. I know it's a little silly but I want that kiss to be the one we tell our children about," Bucky explains.

"Oh, you mean you don't wan't to tell them that your first kiss with Mommy was when we were drunk and not even together? And also, since when am I popping out your spawn? You haven't even asked me on a date yet," Lizzie teases.

He can't help but laugh at her quip.

"Well let me fix that. Elizabeth, will you go on a date with me?" Bucky asks.

"No," Lizzie says and drops her arms from his neck and moves to walk away.

Bucky grabs her and pulls her back into his arms.

"Please?" Bucky asks.

"Oh, alright," Lizzie says in fake annoyance.

"Great, I'll pick you up at five o'clock tomorrow," Bucky says.

Bucky releases his hold on her and moves to leave.

"What? You're leaving?" Lizzie asks.

"I can't be caught talking to a girl in her bedroom unsupervised. What would the neighbors say?" Bucky says in a scandalous voice.

"You're ridiculous," Lizzie deadpans.

"I think you mean chivalrous. Don't worry Lizzie, once I take you out, you can kiss me whenever you want. I know I'm tempting, but you have to control yourself," Bucky says.

"The only thing I'm controlling is the urge to smack you," Lizzie mumbles.

"Wow, so violent. I'll see you tomorrow, Ellie," Bucky says.

Lizzie rolls her eyes but she can't help but smile.

"See you tomorrow Jamie," Lizzie says.

Bucky leaves and Lizzie can't help but wonder what Bucky has planned for tomorrow.