42.

"I think that's about to become your reality"

"Lucky me"

......

The pancakes were as delicious as Camila had promised. With breakfast finished, they walked past a block full of graffiti art and consignment shops in Little Havana. An up-and-coming neighbourhood full of hipsters and Internet start-up folks. The shops here bore the evidence of the clientele, but there was an element to these few blocks that bothered Lauren. She didn't like the idea of Camila living in a neighbourhood still plagued with crime and trouble, even if the numbers were improving. Camila was an independent woman though, and it wasn't Lauren's place to criticize where she lived.

"You like living here?" she asked, keeping the question casual.

"Sure" Camila said with a laidback shrug as they side-stepped a sleeping homeless man. "There's a kickass bakery a few blocks over, some fabulous coffee shops, and lots of boutiques that my best friend loves, so I get to see her more often"

"Maybe we should all do something next time I'm in town" Lauren suggested, and couldn't deny the touch of nerves in her chest. Last time she'd asked for something more, Camila had gone running. But maybe dinner with her best friend was something the girl could handle.

"I would love that" Camila said, and Lauren's nerves departed with her simple answer, "And you're going to love Normani. She's the best"

"I'm looking forward to meeting her in person" Lauren said, checking the time on her watch, "in about twenty minutes"

"Let's go get your bag so you're not late" she said as they turned onto her block, passing a vintage clothing shop a few door down. Lauren's driver waited in a town car by Camila's building. Lauren gave him a quick wave, then headed to the girl's third-floor apartment. Camila's cell phone was still on the kitchen counter. She'd left it there all morning, and Lauren had been grateful to have her undivided attention, a luxury she'd rarely had with Keana. She grabbed her suitcase and tapped Camila's metal table, "Good table. That's a keeper"

"I was planning on framing that table because I love what we did on it so much" Camila said, and then led Lauren back down the stairs and out of her building.

She stopped in her tracks and cursed under her breath, "Fuck" she muttered and ran a hand through her hair.

"What is it?" Lauren asked, and her shoulders tightened with worry. She zeroed in on Camila's eyes then followed her line of sight to a large man built like a slab of meat pacing a few feet away. The man had light brown hair, with a few blond streaks down the sides. He was scanning the street and quickly set his eyes on Camila.

Instantly, Lauren reached for her, draping an arm protectively around her. She turned to look at Camila, holding her gaze tight with her own, "You okay?"

"Yeah" she said in a thin voice as the freight-train-sized man walked towards them.

"You know him?"

"Sort of" Camila pressed the tip of her tongue nervously along her teeth.

"Camila" the man barked as he reached them, "You don't answer your phone? Is everything okay?" He sounded strangely concerned, almost paternal, and that irked Lauren.

"I was out for breakfast" she said through tight lips.

Lauren glanced from Camila the the man and back, wanting to know who the hell he was and why he was talking to her like he owned her.

"Austin needs you tonight"

Camila didn't answer him, and Lauren sure as hell didn't like what she was hearing.