(47) Water Lily -Fishing Line pt.2-

It had been two days since you saved Ahkmenrah(or 'Ahk') from the fishing line. Ahk's fin was healing well, and you could even tell that the scars from the line were slowly but surely healing. Things had been going great. Your grandparents were completely unaware of the merman who was hiding underneath their dock, and you and Ahk had been getting along well. You spent hours by the dock, chatting away with Ahkmenrah, and getting to know him.

"So what's the human world like?" Ahk asks one sunny afternoon.

"It's...interesting..." you scratch the back of your neck. You weren't really sure how to tell Ahk that your life as a human sucked. "It's really loud, and there are thousands of humans in the city. I go to a huge school with other kids my age, where we're taught all sorts of things."

"Like what?" The merman eagerly asks.

"Well, we learn about science,
and read books, we do math, and we also learn about geography."

"That sounds amazing. Merfolk don't really have school. We also don't gather in large groups." Ahk sighs. "Merpeople really only spend time with other merpeople when we're with our families. Other then that, we aren't social creatures. I would love to visit this 'city' you mention. I can't imagine how amazing it would be to be surrounded by so many other humans!" Ahk's golden eyes light up in excitement.

"Yeah...heh heh...it's pretty great..." You chuckle, pulling your knees up close to your chest.

Ahkmenrah swims up to you and rests his arms on the dock. "(Yn)? What's the matter?"

You look over at the merman who stares at you with worried but kind eyes. You felt you could trust him. "It's just not all it's cracked up to be. Sure, I'm surrounded by people, but they don't like me. They think I'm weird and a loser. Some people have a lot of fun being humans...but not me."

"I'm so sorry. That sounds horrible."

"Thanks, but you have nothing to apologize for. Its not your fault. I just wish I didn't have to deal with them." You turn your head away and begin tracing your fingers along the grooves in the wooden dock. "You're lucky, Ahk. You don't have to deal with judgement or...or constantly being surrounded by people who hate you..."

"...But I'm also alone."

Your head jolts up and you turn to face Ahk again. "What?"

"Why do you think that I was by your grandfather's boat in the first place?" He looks at you. "I was so lonely that I was willing to get caught by a human just for the smallest possibility of being able to get even the smallest interaction with someone else."

"I had no idea..." you say, feeling a pang of guilt in your chest. "I guess we both kinda want to swap with each other, huh? I don't suppose you have a sea witch down there who gives merfolk legs in exchange for their voice, do you?"

"Uhh...no." Ahk stares at you as though you're crazy.

You nervously chuckle. "Heh, just forget I ever said anything."

:-:-:-:-:-:-:

"(Yn)? Sweetie? Are you alright? This is the third time you've dazed off since dinner started."

You snap from your daydream and look up at your worried grandmother. "Sorry, granny. I didn't mean to daze off." You quickly stuff a forkful of green beans into your mouth.

Your grandmother places her hand on your own. "Is something troubling you, dear?"

"N-Nope! Nothing at all."

Your grandfather then speaks up. "I'll tell you what's troubling me. My fishing buddies and I can't find any exciting game in this lake!" He scowls.

"What do you mean? There are plenty of big fish." Granny says.

"We've grown bored of those. Where's the fun in fishing if you catch the same darn thing every time? We've decided to start fishing for even bigger fish. One of my buddies even says that he's seen glimpses of merfolk! Imagine that!"

You choke on your water. "M-merfolk? You don't a-actually believe that, do you?" You worriedly ask.

"Ha! I'm a bit skeptical, but it wouldn't hurt to look. It's not like there's anything else to search for."

"What would you do if you found merpeople, grandpa?"

"If we really did find one, it could probably be sold for a pretty penny. It could really help us pay the expenses necessary for keeping the hou-." He says, getting cut off by your grandmother, who clears her throat and glares at him.

You feel sick to your stomach. Your grandfather was not only going to begin keeping an eye out for merfolk, he was going to keep an eye out for merfolk when there is an injured one living under the dock!

"Are you okay, waterlily?" Your grandfather asks, using you nickname. "You look like you've seen a ghost!"

"Oh...yes! I'm fine! I just uh...feel tired. I'm going to head to sleep now!" You quickly say, standing up.

"Alright sweetie. Goodnight!" Grandmother says with a small smile.

"Night!" You say, already running up the stairs to your room.

I have to warn Ahk...