Chapter 29

hey y'all!!! i'm backkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!! did ya miss me ;)

Seraphina Amor

I've never been one to struggle with lying, it's always come as a second nature to me. I think I learned how to lie before I even learned how to tell the truth. It's simply just easy.

Throughout my time in this career, lying becomes a staple, a necessity to go about your daily life. Telling lies is how you make it home at the end of the day and are able to dodge the bullet that could end up in your head. Lying's saved me more than once and I know for a fact that it won't let me down any time soon.

The thing about lies, though, is that they can spiral out of control. The longer you keep them locked away and hidden from the light, the more they build and build, growing larger and larger until you are not able to keep a hold on them anymore. I know this and I've learned from this knowledge, but the possibility of it happening still lingers in my head day to day. That's why, more recently, I've kept track of my lies and tried to get myself out of them before they get too big and my grip on them slips.

My list of lies right now is long and it seems last night I added one more to the list.

I'm not worried about Harry finding out about me sneaking out. Frankly, I don't really care. I'm a grown woman and I know how to handle myself if the situation to do so ever arised. I don't need Harry to babysit me and follow my every move. Sure, we're partners right now, but that doesn't mean I wasn't able to look into things on my own time.

And truth be told, I know Harry is lying to me about things as well; it's the same with Leon and Wyatt too. We're all hiding things from each other and that doesn't bother me at all, unless it has to do with the assignment which was precisely why I went out on my own to look into Pete.

They had failed to mention that Pete was an agent originally, not until he was found dead in a photo along with the other lifeless bodies of numerous agents. Even thinking about the picture made me shutter, the disturbing and revolting images flashing in my mind. I wasn't mad per say about the Pete situation, but actively knowing they didn't tell me that at first until it was exposed makes me wonder what else they're keeping from me.

However, I guess I could be called a hypocrite because I'm also keeping things from, or at least plan to. For example, I don't plan on telling Harry about the little piece of bloodied paper that I hold in my hand with an address scribbled across it.

I stared at paper until the sun peeked up from over the horizon as I contemplated what to do with it. It could be nothing, honestly, just an address of a client that Pete had. Yes he was an agent, but he also did genuinely run a picture store, meaning that he did have normal, everyday people as clients. If I told Harry about it and it turns out to be someone's home or something, I know for sure that I'll get criticized for wasting time when we have two perfectly good addresses from Wyatt that we can use and more likely than not find a lead on Jensen.

Which is exactly why I hid the paper in one of the drawers beneath my bras and underwear, confident enough that Harry wouldn't go searching through there.

Once again, it's just another lie and I shouldn't let it bother me.

My hands run over my face as I sit at the edge of the bed, eyes trained on the drawer that the paper sits in. It's presence is overbearing and although I can't see it, I can feel it burning through the wood that separates me from it. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, truly. There's a lot more certain things to go by and even though it was hidden somewhat, it could have just fallen as collateral damage of Pete's fight against his attackers.

Sighing, I shake my head and push myself up from the bed, averting my sight away from the drawer. There's not much I can do right now with it anyway as Harry and I already agreed that today we would go and check out the address of where Pete was taken. He was waiting for me to finish getting ready and I know at this point, I'm just stalling.