Chapter 4.5 (Part 2)

She feigned a shiver. "Did it suddenly get cold in here?"

   Mark had returned his attention to his plate, his appetite obviously little affected by the interruption. "Tyler and I have had a few disagreements lately."

   "Gee, I never would have guessed."

   "He's representing my wife in the divorce," Mark admitted. "I think he's doing so a bit more fiercely than necessary. I've accused him of trying to bankrupt me. He gives me a slick line about how he's just doing what she's hired him to do."

   Jane grimaced. "Sorry, I didn't know."

   "I always liked Tyler, though I didn't know him very well. But that was before u saw him in cutthroat lawyer mode."

   "Tyler's always been an overachiever. I'm sure he just figures he's giving his client her money's worth."

   "Yeah, well, I'm starting to take it personally. Malorie and I were handling things fairly civilly until the lawyers got involved—especially Tyler."

   "It's always sad when a marriage breaks up."

   He signed and Jane was a flash. Of what might have been guilt across his face before he muttered, "Especially when there are kids involved. I really hate this for my boys."

   Without knowing—or even wanting to know—the details of the breakup, Jane offered a simple, "I'm sorry, Mark." She knew from personal observation how ugly divorces could become, and how easily innocent bystanders could be caught in the middle. She intended to be very careful not to become involved in this one, in any way. Not even by asking questions.

   He nodded his gratitude, then changed the subject. "Want any dessert?" Dora still makes those great pies with mile-high meringue."

   "As much as I love her pies, I'm afraid I'll have to pass. I'm too full. But feel free to have some yourself."

   Reluctantly, Mark looked at his own thoroughly clean plate. "I guess I better pass, too. I've already gone way over my limit for today."

   Ten minutes later, Jane made her way out of the bustling diner, the paperwork tucked beneath her arm. She didn't look back at Tyler's table, but she had the oddest sensation that she was being watched as she and Mark left the restaurant.