Chapter 45

Working with fire wasn't quite as fun as I had imagined. Benjamin had mostly just wanted to see little tricks- like making shapes out of fire and pushing it in different directions. He was impressed that I could already do this- it was about as much as he could do himself.

"You're very good," He complimented, watching as I made a butterfly out of the flames. I made it fly up, it's wings creating a trail of fire as they fluttered. 

I grinned at Benjamin, eager to show him more. It was exciting to have someone here who understood me so well.

When I tried to show him more, though, I was always stopped. It was frustrating. I had wanted to throw flames into the forest, showing how good I was at missing the trees. But Esme stopped me, telling me to keep the fire away from the leaves and undergrowth. She stopped me again when I made a ribbon of fire and started twirling with it, her voice growing more worried and persistent. 

The breaking point, though, seemed to be when I made a big hoop of fire and tried to show Benjamin how I could use the air to levitate myself through it- an act my father had refused to allow on more than one occasion. Carlisle grabbed me by my hand and yanked me back to the ground, landing a sharp smack over the back of my dress.

I yelped as the smack reignited the pain from my earlier punishment. "Ow, Daddy," I whined, rubbing at the pain as tears formed in my eyes. He hadn't even given me a warning first!

As if he could read my mind, Carlisle shook his head at me. "You don't need a warning for such behavior, Camellia," He reprimanded. "You know better- you and I have already discussed that your body is not a prop to be used in training. I think it's time to head back inside- you seem to be getting a little overexcited out here."

Subdued by my public admonishment, I kept my eyes on the ground and turned to make my way inside. Benjamin caught my arm as I passed by, stopping me. "You did very well, Camellia," He praised, and I felt my lips curve up slightly, some of the embarrassment falling away at his compliment.

"Perhaps, though," Benjamin continued, "Working with fire is a bit too much for a child. It is probably best if you only use it as directed, and not given free reign as you are with the other elements. We wouldn't want you hurt. Carlisle seems very protective of you- consider yourself lucky you aren't his real daughter. Lord knows how much worse he would be."

Benjamin said the words jokingly, no doubt to try and lighten my mood after seeing me get smacked. But as he spoke, my smile fell away completely.

Real daughter?

Arms wrapped around me, and I immediately recognized Carlisle's embrace. "Camellia is my real daughter," He clarified, his voice still friendly despite the slight undertone of chastisement. "Never has anything been more real, Benjamin. She's mine."

I sighed in relief at how quickly my father had countered Benjamin- there had been no hesitation in his response, no moment of hesitation for Carlisle to consider if I was actually his daughter. He had called me 'his' as easily and confidently as if he were stating the weather, or noting the day of the week.

It was a Wednesday. The sky was blue. And I was Carlisle and Esme's daughter. 

Benjamin nodded his head, looking repentant. "Of course, Carlisle. I apologize. I meant nothing by it, you understand. I'm still unused to the titles that you and your family use, but of course I respect them."

His eyes moved down to meet mine, and he smiled. "And little Miss Camellia," Benjamin added, crouching down to look at me. "Of course you belong to Carlisle. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings."

I forced a smile and shook my head. "It's okay."

Once again, I was struck by the differences between my own family and other vampires. Benjamin really couldn't seem to comprehend the family unit that we existed in- to him, the closest he could get was me belonging to Carlisle. To him, Carlisle was not my father, but rather my owner. I answered to him, I did as he said, or I was punished. He didn't see the love and praise and care that came in between.