Chapter 35: The Party!

Hello,

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and new year.

Sorry for the delay but i hope the chapter itself is worth the wait. This one took a lot out of me, i wrote and rewrote it several times and it wasn’t easy, but all of ur kind comments helped me persevere.

I pray the result is worth it.

Do let me know what you guys think.

As always i await ur comments and feedback.

 P.S dont forget to listen to the song i have with this chapter, I got the idea for Megans first song from this old irish folksong sung by katherine jenkins, in this version atleast, you can find many other renditions on youtube too. Orignally though this was meant to be sung by a man. Hence the story about the warrior.

Chapter 35:

The Party;

“Just look at this place,” Hugh exclaimed, running his awestruck gaze around the hall, “Tis unbelievable,”

“Hrrmph,” Iain grunted rudely in response.

In truth he wasn’t listening to a word Hugh said, or at least he was trying not to.

Iain was far too busy frowning at the sight of his infuriating wife standing amidst a group of fawning men, laughing and talking to Quinlan and a few of his warriors, including an ever blushing Brodick and the usually stoic Crispin with a dopey grin gracing his mouth. Considering Sarah hadn’t even met most of the men before tonight, Iain found her obvious familiarity with them more than just a little grating. Granted she was surrounded by many women as well but that did little to stifle the wild urge to head over there and order his men to take themselves and their sappy smiles all the way to perdition.

He found it hard to stand still while Sarah enchanted everyone around her. His men acted like lovesick puppies in her presence; one would think they had never seen a woman afore. They grinned and hung onto Sarah’s every word, basking in the warmth of her tinkling laughter.  

Iain was ill prepared for the wildly inappropriate streak of possessiveness that assailed him when Sarah threw back her head and laughed at something Quinlan said. From the look on the man’s face ‘twould seem like he had just been granted the greatest honour.

His eyes narrowed with disapproval when he saw her pat Brodick on the forearm, just an innocent brush of her slender fingers, but it was enough to make the bashful young Highlander blush to the roots of his ginger hair while his fellow warriors burst into guffaws of laughter. Iain grit his teeth, wondering what the hell was so funny.

So far he had maintained a distance from Sarah, deliberately, not that he had been in the keep all that long. Barely ten minutes had passed since he had walked in the front door to the sound gaiety and the sight of most of his clan, woman and man alike, crammed into the hall.

The changes in the keep were indeed unbelievable as Hugh had told him all too often after sidling up next to him and Iain was impressed despite himself. ‘Twas why he had hung back, absorbing everything around him.