-ˋ 48

CHAPTER FORTY EIGHT

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH THEY FEEL UNEASY

. . .

When Remus finally felt up to it, the five of them bundled themselves up in various coloured hats and scarves (the variation happened to be between red and yellow, which seemed to characteristics of the only woollen items they owned) and made their way out of James's house, all prompted by Euphemia and Fleamont, who thought they had been cooped up for way too long despite just how cold it was outside.

Several days after Christmas and it seemed that other people had the same idea.

It just so happened that the village in which the Potters' resided was on the side of a valley with a river running through the lowest point. A walk besides it was marked out by what the Muggles called the 'National Trust' - Remus could tell the three very confused wizards that they protected the wildlife and environments within Britain - and it was practically heaving with people.

"Come on you lot!" Euphemia called, several feet in front of them with her arm linked with her husband. Fleamont had given up his gloves for her and had his hands dug into the pockets of his camel-coloured coat. Not minutes after leaving the house, he had reached out and pulled his wife's hand into the pocket.

This of course prompted James to do the same with Tiger, and the teens were now shuffling along awkwardly, teeth chattering and visibly shivering in the cold.

"I don't do well in cold." Sirius grumbled as Remus pulled him along, per Euphemia's request for them to hurry the hell up. "The summer - I like the summer."

"Tough luck Padfoot." Tiger leaned across to look at him, hands numb but steadily held by James's equally cold palms. "We're outside now, so you'd better suck it up."

"Rem - your cousin is being a bitch." Sirius whined, turning towards the boy next to him. They were itching to hold hands, but neither had the confidence to with that many people around. Remus just shrugged. "James-" Sirius turned towards his best friend, only to get a similar reply. "I've been abandoned. You've all abandoned me."

"Sirius, when my parents made me do this, they always said that if you keep moving, your body will adjust in no time at all!" Fleamont's smile was contagious, and soon Euphemia was smiling just as wide. "As long as we warm up when we go back in, then a little cold doesn't do anyone any harm at all!"

"I'll make sure to get you all hot chocolate and blankets, and the fires will be on." Euphemia's cheeks looked as if they could split she was smiling that wide.

It prompted a similar reaction among her son and his friends, who returned their expressions and all felt a similar guilt settle in their stomachs. "I feel bad lying to them." Tiger was the first to voice that unsettling feeling, murmurs of agreement following.

The Potters had done so much for not only Tiger - who, after the many months of continued help, guardianship and basic necessities being provided by Euphemia and Fleamont, was feeling awful - but every single one of James's friends.

For Peter and Remus, not a single one of their conditions questioned when they turned up on their doorsteps part way into the holidays and just the unrestricted help provided. For Tiger and Sirius, well it was a little deeper than that.

Euphemia, Fleamont and James had given them the normalcy of a home life that neither of them had experienced before. Given them a place to sleep, a roof above their head and a somehow never-ending stream of food. Neither of them had that stability before, never felt so safe somewhere.

"They're always asking about school.. telling us not to worry and that the war isn't going to last forever and that people our age shouldn't have to worry." Even James was in agreement and held this guilt. He knew just how privileged he was and how much his parents had done for him, and even though he had told many white lies in his time this just so happened to be the one that didn't sit well.

But really, who would feel good about lying to their parents about training in order to go out and win that war. That was their aim right? To somehow win this war even though they were quite literally children?

And if this meant having to keep their involvement a secret from the two people who had helped give the five of them the ability to do just that, then they supposed that they would have to keep it.

"We can't tell them. There's no way that'll go down well." Peter shrugged his shoulders. "We just have a couple more days until we go back to Hogwarts, then Easter, then we graduate."

"He's right." Remus nodded. "Now come on." He reached out and tugged Sirius forward, the three others following quickly behind in order to catch up.

They were training to join an Order and fight Voldemort. This was, by far, the smallest secret to keep and the easiest lie they would have to tell.